PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a few questions

speedjunkie
08/16/2012, 01:52 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Ed and I am new to the saltwater side of the hobby and have not had any tank in 15 or so years.

Right now I am in the early stages of planning and acquiring parts for a reef build. I am thinking I want to go with a 40 gallon breeder and when the time is right pickup a 20L for a sump.

I feel this is a large enough system to not have too much difficulty maintaining and still small enough to not kill my wallet trying to light and stock the system.

I am planning on a DIY route for the stand and a canopy. My reasoning is that I can custom design with expandabilty in mind.

Right now I am looking to pull the trigger on a Deep Blue 40 Breeder (would have them order a Non-Tempered one). I admit I have been looking at the 30 RR Cube they have but not sure I want to give up the extra volume. Any personal feedback on these tanks?

If I go with the breeder I think I want to go ahead and drill for overflow and return and put bulkheads with plugs in them before I setup the tank. My thought with this is I can setup the tank sooner and start the cycle and maybe add a fish or two before I have the funds to complete the overflow and sump setup. If I have preinstalled the bulkheads I don't have to do much other than drain a little water in order to do the overflow. Any reason someone would advise againt this?

I think I want to go LEDs due to bulbs/heat. I am not sure if I want to go the SPS route yet or not so I have a bunch of research in that department still. I am also still deciding what fish and what order I want to stock.

I know this post is pretty long and most of this has probably been covered before but I appericate any suggestions and insight. I have been reading the forum for hours on end but there really is just so much information.

Thanks,
Ed

PAnanoguy
08/16/2012, 02:55 PM
Welcome to RC! I think the 40 BR will be a great first tank. Personally I would wait till I have the overflow finished and ready to go before starting anything else but like you said, you can just drain some water and add overflow later. I have LEDS on my tank and I like them alot. Theres alot to choose from out there so it will come down to what will fit the tank as well as your wallet. Some LED fixtures are modular so you can add more to it later if need be. this website has some pretty good suggestions as far as hardware and reading customer reviews is always good too.
http://www.marinedepot.com/reef_tank_packages_set_up_30-65_gallon-ap.html
Good luck and have fun with your new tank.

chrisfont23
08/16/2012, 03:00 PM
Good luck and welcome! There are a host of options for LEDs. I use Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LEDs on my tank and I absolutely love them. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

worm5406
08/16/2012, 03:02 PM
+1 on the Panorama. I am looking at getting a reef elite or something to automate them better for time of day etc...

speedjunkie
08/17/2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks you for the welcomes.

mandarin_goby
08/17/2012, 11:02 AM
I just moved to Raleigh from Norfolk, Va and I miss Norfolk terribly!

I'm jealous you still have access to Animal Jungle and Fish Safari!

I love the size of a 40b...plenty of volume and not too deep so as to affect lighting to the bottom as much as a deeper tank.

I just started a reef tank too...welcome! This forum has been very helpful to me.