PDA

View Full Version : Mylar reflective film

Joe Pusdesris
08/16/2012, 02:47 PM
I don't have a par meter or anything, but I just lined the inside of my canopy with the stuff and it seems quite a lot brighter to my eyes. Even if you have a reflector, there is still quite a lot of light that bounces back off the water I think, and lining the rest of the canopy with this helps. I haven't seen it mentioned on the forums before so I figured I would try to spread the word and see what others thought.

undertai
08/17/2012, 02:15 AM
I have used it before when I used mh lighting. The only thing was I got the thin sheet and it burnt through the Mylar. But it did help put more light back in the tank.

mfinn
08/17/2012, 08:02 AM
I lined the inside of my canopy with mylar even tho I do have reflectors. I figured it would help bounce the light back into the tank as well.
Not really sure if it has helped or not, but at first it was pretty bright in there, but over the years the mylar film has faded from contact with the salt air.

clnfsh
08/17/2012, 09:47 AM
I used plain ole aluminum foil. It needs replaceing about once a yr.

Paris_Wiley
08/20/2012, 04:20 PM
I am not sure which type of mylar film you are using, but the one I used lost some of its reflective surface when it got spashed with salt water or due to salt residue building up. I did not notice this at first but then started wiping it off periodically and it did the job.

RobinsonFam1
08/21/2012, 07:01 AM
studies in the past have shown that white paint is VERY reflective and is only beaten by a true parabolic reflector....hmmmmm. seems easier, cheaper, longer lasting.....