PDA

View Full Version : 40 gallon breeder refugium project, need baffle advise!

EthanKyle
08/18/2012, 10:43 AM
I calling around to get already cut baffles for my refugium project and they keep asking me if I want tempered glass. I don't think I need tempered glass as these are just baffles. Nevertheless, I turn to my peers for advise. I know that tempered glass is used for mostly tabletops and such so I don't see the need to have it in a refuge. Agree?

kfisc
08/18/2012, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't worry about tempered glass for baffles. You might be able to get a sheet of acrylic cheaper and DIY? Just a thought-

EthanKyle
08/18/2012, 10:51 AM
How thick should the acrylic be? I think Home Depot has 1/8 inch thick sheets. Is this thick enough? Also, will the acrylic sheets bond well with the glass sides?

meisel1
08/18/2012, 10:57 AM
1/4" would be better...and yes silicone will bond the plexi to glass

EthanKyle
08/18/2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info peers. I knew I could count on you.

uncleof6
08/18/2012, 11:03 AM
How thick should the acrylic be? I think Home Depot has 1/8 inch thick sheets. Is this thick enough? Also, will the acrylic sheets bond well with the glass sides?

1/8" acrylic is not thick enough for baffles, and acrylic does not bond well to glass, when using silicone. The surface properties of the acrylic do not allow good adhesion.

1/4" glass is the best practice. It does not need to be, and should not be, tempered.

MadBeach
08/18/2012, 10:19 PM
+1 on avoiding tempered glass. It would not help at all and would limit you in your ability to drill it if you ever needed to (for whatever reason). Tempered glass is not drillable because it shatters once tempered.

etbarry
08/18/2012, 11:55 PM
Agreed with above i built a sump with plexi and probably wont do it again not to mention precut is sweet watch the edges tho.