PDA

View Full Version : Blew Out my LEDs

stevetcg
08/18/2012, 01:59 PM
So im trying to replace the sump lights with LEDs for my ATS.

I had a meanwell 35-700 connected to 4 3w Cree 620nm Reds.

I got the connector wet as I was putting them into the sump, didnt notice, plugged it in and spark, pop, dead. blew out all 4 LEDs.

So I have 2 questions: first, is that enough LEDs for the driver? And second, what do I need to include in the line and where to prevent blowing out my LEDs should I make a boneheaded mistake again?

TIA

one clownfish
08/18/2012, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=stevetcg;20587670]So im trying to replace the sump lights with LEDs for my ATS.

I had a meanwell 35-700 connected to 4 3w Cree 620nm Reds.

I got the connector wet as I was putting them into the sump, didnt notice, plugged it in and spark, pop, dead. blew out all 4 LEDs.

So I have 2 questions: first, is that enough LEDs for the driver? And second, what do I need to include in the line and where to prevent blowing out my LEDs should I make a boneheaded mistake again?

TIA[/QUOTE

Check each Led with your meter to see if you can get any to light up.Your driver is rated 9-48 volts. Your right at the minimum volts for that driver. The forward voltage for those red led's is only 2.3volts @ 700ma. 2.3*4 = 9.2 volts. I'd add a few more led's to be safe because when a couple burn out (believe me they will) your going to burn the whole string up again.