PDA

View Full Version : so much floating crap!!!!!!!!!!!! whats going on?

LennyD4
08/18/2012, 03:32 PM
I have a 65g tank and there is so much floating crap in my tank and i am starting to lose my mind. Idk what to do. I change filter socks every couple days.

MarineDepot
08/18/2012, 03:50 PM
Can you post a picture? Could it be microbubbles?

Dan

shaginwagon13
08/18/2012, 05:48 PM
Can you post a picture? Could it be microbubbles?

Dan

+1

Post pics so we can see.

LennyD4
08/19/2012, 05:10 AM
I will try to post a pic later. I thought it may have been micro bubbles too but I have no idea where it would be coming from

LennyD4
08/19/2012, 09:38 AM
Here is the picture. I really dont think it is micro bubbles. Maybe its just all the fine sand that my Diamond Watchman Goby spits up? but its constantly there and never sinks to the bottom or anything. Its so frustrating -_-

Dapg8gt
08/19/2012, 09:48 AM
Is your skimmer kicking out bubbles?

LennyD4
08/19/2012, 09:59 AM
I dont see any micro bubbles going from my fuge to return section in my sump. My skimmer is in the first section with the return then goes through a bubble trap into the fuge then into the return.

OKDOHK
08/19/2012, 10:07 AM
I'm a big advocate for high flow. But in your case this may be the issue. Have you thought of lowering flow or maybe placing a thin layer of larger substrate (1-2mm) on top of the existing sand?

Sk8r
08/19/2012, 10:41 AM
It's new. The good news is, as sand ages, the bacterial growth causes the sand and dust particles to stick together. Takes a few months. The bad news is that high flow (which lps corals and fish like) and sugar (superfine) sand do not combine well. I tried fine sand on my second coral setup, and it killed expensive corals left and right. I've spent several years, slowly pulling the fine stuff out and substituting medium grade aragonite sand, which does not blow. I would say if it is sand and dust, and you have high flow, you may want to think about a total re-start with medium sand. Now, understand, because I'm an lps reef (the only thing that would survive the blowing sand: the sps all died) I don't use a filter sock; and that sock will help with the dust, but if it's sand (get a magnifying glass) there may be a problem.

LennyD4
08/19/2012, 11:20 AM
Maybe I will wait a couple more months and see if it settles. Its so frustrating though because it makes my tank look dirty. If that doesn't do the trick then I will try to add a thin layer of the thicker stuff. The only reason I decided to go with the fine sand is because I know my watchman goby likes the stuff and I wasn't sure how they are with thicker sand.