PDA

View Full Version : Bought Wrong RO Membrane

SolarEclipse
08/18/2012, 05:07 PM
Hey everyone, I recently just purchased a new RO membrane, and I accidentally bought the 100gpd, when I should have bought the 90gpd. Bad thing is I don't think I can return it, since I unwrapped it and used it in my unit. Is it bad that I have that membrane in there? To correct would I have to adjust the flow restrictor? I have the Spectrapure MaxPro MPDI. In the manual it came with it said to use the 100 gpd ro membrane.

Buckeye Hydro
08/18/2012, 06:17 PM
The 90 gpd membrane you had is actually a 75 gpd membrane.

You should use a flow restrctor that yeilds a ratio of about 4 parts waste water to every 1 part of purified water, given your specific water temperature and water pressure.

SolarEclipse
08/18/2012, 06:32 PM
So I totally goofed. The membrane I have is the MarinePro DI System. It uses an encapsulated RO membrane (first time every seeing that). The one I bought was not encapsulated. Is this a problem having an non- encapsulated membrane for an encapsulated unit? I was able to unscrew the housing of the RO membrane. Are encapsulated membranes supposed to do that?

SolarEclipse
08/18/2012, 10:21 PM
Correction, the MarinePRO DI system is the rodi unit. Okay questions are: Is my ro membrane supposed to be encapsulated?( I am able to screw open housing). If it isn't encapsulated does it matter that I'm supposed to be using a 90gpd, when I bought a 100gpd instead? And will I have to adjust my flow restrictor?

Buckeye Hydro
08/19/2012, 03:54 AM
If you can unscrew the "lid" or end of the RO membrane housing, then by definition, it's not encapsulated - your system uses a standard RO membrane housing.

Because you have a standard RO Membrane housing, you can buy and install replacement membranes any time you'd like.

Go ahead and install the new membrane - realize that your new membrane has a lower rejection rate than your old membrane - check the paperwork that came with the membranes.

After you install the new membrane, check the ratio of purified water to waste water. It should be apx. 4 to 1. If not, you can trim your flow restrictor a bit, or if necessary, get a different flow restrictor.

Russ

SolarEclipse
08/19/2012, 11:43 AM
Okay thay makes sense about the rejection rate. After the new membrane the tds was about 6, and after di its 0. Would I be setting my tank up for algae blooms if I dont get a higher rejection rate membrane.

Buckeye Hydro
08/19/2012, 12:15 PM
No, because regardless of which membrane you use, your DI water will be 0 ppm TDS.

Your DI will last longer with a higher rejection membrane.

SolarEclipse
08/19/2012, 08:39 PM
Ty very much!!

SolarEclipse
08/20/2012, 01:36 AM
Russ, if you could answer another question I would greatly appreciate it. I was looking at flow restrictors (one I have cannot be modified to get 4:1 water) and I was wondering would a cartridge or a capillary flow restrictor be best?

Buckeye Hydro
08/20/2012, 03:54 AM
I like capillary flow restrictors because in most cases the length of the tube can be modified if needed.

Russ