PDA

View Full Version : One for Randy or Bertoni

Po Pimp Daddie
08/20/2012, 12:20 AM
My bucket of instant ocean salt I have some how happened to get some moisture into it even tho it stays sealed in-between making new water for water changes...is it still usable? Or should I dump it?

THS
08/20/2012, 05:11 AM
If the moisture was from RODI water, it wouldn't be a problem. But moisture in the atmosphere usually isn't pure and will have other nutrients suspended in it.

I would mix a 1-5 gallon batch and test the TDS. Test for phosphates as well.

By the way, there are plenty of experienced chemists on this forum that are willing to help, if Randy of Bertoni feel like they can contribute, they will anyway!

disc1
08/20/2012, 07:27 AM
If you make up salt water and test tds it will be off the charts.

The water vapor in the air is not laden with nutrients.

The salt may have some reactions on absorbing water and may not fully dissolve. You may find that it comes up low on calcium or alkalinity now.

Po Pimp Daddie
08/20/2012, 10:11 AM
Well said ths, thanks both of u for the input I greatly appreciate it! Just tossed it out and bought a new bag

Chris27
08/20/2012, 02:21 PM
Next time you go tossing a bag of salt out, please let me know, I'll take it off your hands!!

A solid block of salt isn't anything to worry about, if it's low on Calcium, Alk or Mag, they are very easy to adjust, and cheaper then dropping another $20 on a bag of salt.

mc-cro
08/20/2012, 02:24 PM
How much is some moisture? just a couple little clumps, or it has turned into a rock?

I thought I read one time that you could not use salt once it had hardened from moisture. I think it had something to do with the water being added to salt caused something to precipitate out and would not redissolve? ( I clearly am out of my league here)