PDA

View Full Version : good morning, i have a couple questions???

greenvillecoins
08/20/2012, 10:59 AM
If you great people can help me out ive been told so much from my lpfs my brain is drained,,,,ive had tramendos help from todd, he is wonderfull but i dont want to over load him,,,he has given so much time to me i feel bad,,,well here goes this is the stuff chemicals i have and was told to use all of them at one time??? very confused here are some pics of the soft corals i have in a 55 all my levels seem great, with test strips,,,,, and bottle tests,,,, what if any should i use and what kind of doseing should i do???????200657

greenvillecoins
08/20/2012, 11:02 AM
thanks in advance for any help you can give200662

bertoni
08/20/2012, 02:57 PM
The tank seems to have a bit of an algal bloom. I'd stop feeding the food products for the time being. The Fusion should be okay to dose. Do you have an alkalinity test kit? You'll need one to get your Fusion dose dialed in.

greenvillecoins
08/20/2012, 03:12 PM
first thank you for responding! the lfs told me to use 10ml each of all the bottle in the pic and to target feed the lobo with the oyster eggs,,how will this kit tell me how much to dose? im sorry im a newbie the tank was dropped on my head basically and most of it was dead ive brought it back to this so far with alot of help from todd and the great people here,,,, i did post a few pics a couple threads up,,,,

greenvillecoins
08/20/2012, 03:14 PM
plus they told me to dose one cap full of iodine each week...

mgraf
08/20/2012, 09:46 PM
Personally, I'd quit putting all that junk in my tank. With the corals you have, I would just focus on regular 20%-25% water change regiment and enjoy my tank. If you start dosing things you can't measure, your looking for trouble and wasting a lot of money.

bertoni
08/20/2012, 10:29 PM
The Fusion supplements add calcium and alkalinity, primarily. An alkalinity test kit will tell you how much alkalinity (mostly carbonate and bicarbonate) the tank has consumed since the last dose. Since calcium and alkalinity are combined in a reasonable constant ratio, the alkalinity result also tells you how much calcium has been consumed. Then, you can use this calculator to calculate how much to add to the tank:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It requires a guess as to the actual amount of water in the tank, so I'd be conservative for the first few doses.

Does the tank have any fish? Any fish food going into it? That might be enough to feed the corals.

greenvillecoins
08/21/2012, 07:40 AM
i feed them pelets every evening..thanks so much

bertoni
08/21/2012, 11:42 PM
Okay, I probably would stop everything but the pellets and the Fusion for a bit. The tank seems to be getting more nutrients than it needs, which can kill corals.

greenvillecoins
08/22/2012, 05:45 AM
wow , ok im sorry but im stupid when it comes to this,,,how can i tell if the tank is getting to much nutrients? i have stopped all the stuff except what you have told me and that i only use 10ml each.... man i wish thier were someone in sc greenville that was close,,,,and as smart as the great people ive met here,,,,

bertoni
08/22/2012, 07:14 PM
Hobbyists general don't have the equipment necessary to measure low levels of nutrients or the nutrient flow. It'd be very expensive and time-consuming. The presence of all that algae is a sign that there' enough nutrients to allow them to grow, which often indicates that the tank is getting too much food. We are guessing, basically, but it's usually a good guess because it's very easy to overfeed a saltwater tank.

coralsnaked
09/18/2012, 03:15 PM
No No No on the cap full of Iodine per week, I don't know what size tank it is you have but a cap full a week seems like an overdose schedule. Here is the proper dosing on Iodine per month... 1ml per 25 gals per month.

Get an all in one like Salifert and dose per instructions
In addition you will need to test for Alk and Calcium and dose when needed per instructions. Your Alk = 10 and your Ca = 450
And Iodine is a MONTHLY dose of 1ml per 25 gal

Past that do lots of exportation thru media such as carbon, Purigen and Phos(ban or guard)

Weekly let that LFS do a complete panel test on your water

Nitrites = 0.0
Nitrates = < 3
Phosphates < .165
Ammonia = 0.0
Alk = 10
Ca = 450

Happy Reefing