PDA

View Full Version : Gold Band Maroon Clowns

L8ndeb
08/20/2012, 04:57 PM
Hi All,

I had purchased and recieved a mated pair of GBMC from and online fish store. I immediately, when they arrived, did an acclimation to my QT. All was well for a few days, but during the QT process (tank transfer) the female passed.
I would like to purchase another GBMC to complete my mated pair. My question is, now that the feamle has passed, will the male turn into a female? How will I know which gender to purchase? TIA

Slickcg33
08/20/2012, 05:12 PM
In my experience it will take a while for the male to turn into a female. I had my female Clarkii jump out of my tank and the male stayed in there for around a month before I got another female Clarkii to be with him. They bonded up right away.

Make sure you purchase a large clownfish and that will usually mean its matured and most likely female. I would suggest speaking with Bob from Ibluewater.com. He was extremely helpful through email and got me exactly what i wanted.

nguyentri
08/20/2012, 07:13 PM
In my experience it will take a while for the male to turn into a female. I had my female Clarkii jump out of my tank and the male stayed in there for around a month before I got another female Clarkii to be with him. They bonded up right away.

Make sure you purchase a large clownfish and that will usually mean its matured and most likely female. I would suggest speaking with Bob from Ibluewater.com. He was extremely helpful through email and got me exactly what i wanted.

+1 , At least twice the size of your current male so they will fight less and pair up faster. It is not always a sucess without a fight because the maroon is the meanest of the clownfish.

fishmanstan
08/20/2012, 07:44 PM
I agree with what is stated^. How big is the existing maroon? If 2", say, get a 4" specimen. This will either turn the existing clown back to male or have it remain male. Because of their aggressive nature, maroons are one if the the hardest clownfish to mate up.