Stock list:
Large Hippo
Med Purple Tang
Large FileFish
Small Juv Emporer
Med Flame Angle
Med Lemon Peel Angle
Small/Med 2 Perc Clown

Today I found the emporer, flame, lemon peel and 1 clown dead - I can't figure out who killed them because I don't think the hippo, purple tang, perc or the filefish are aggressive enought to kill four fish.

Water parameters are all normal

All fish were added together 20 days ago after a month of cycling

Woodchuck12
08/20/2012, 08:35 PM
To me it sounds like you added too many fish too fast, and there could be a huge amonia build up. Or with tangs you could have brought ich into your system which could also be the killer.

geaux xman
08/20/2012, 09:57 PM
probably introduced a disease to the tank.

MrTuskfish
08/21/2012, 09:34 AM
Way too many fish to add at once; especially to a tank that has only been set up for a month.What are "normal"parameters that you're seeing? If you're testing ammonia at zero, I'd wonder about the test kit. How are the rest of the fish acting, breathing heavily, gasping, etc. You could be at the front end of a tank crash; I'd do a major WC and dose Amquel. Nobody can really tell much from your info; but with a new tank, heavy fish load no QT (I assume); ammonia or parasites are the most logical guesses.

Wolverine
08/21/2012, 09:51 AM
In addition to the issue of adding too many fish at once without a QT, the other issue could be tank size. How big is the tank?

BrianD
08/21/2012, 09:58 AM
Since your last post on this forum was concerning a hepatus attacking an Imperator (2 years ago), I am not sure if you are serious or not.

If you are serious and you really added those fish within one month of cycling, you are the guilty party.

BrianD
08/21/2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry, you also posted less than a month ago about stocking your 75 gallon tank. I guess that answers Dave's question about tank size.

I weep for this hobby.

snorvich
08/21/2012, 10:02 AM
His profile says 120 gallon tank. While the number added is high relative to tank age and bio-capacity if I had to select which fish might do that it would be the large (what size is "large"?) hepatus tang. Brian is faster than I am.

mhurley
08/21/2012, 10:02 AM
Who's guilty?

That would be you.

4 years on this board with 6 posts and that is the stocking decisions you made?
Oooof.

I think you need to review you plans.

BrianD
08/21/2012, 10:05 AM
Hi All,

I just want to get an idea on what to do with my sump before I start stocking. The sump is a 20 gallon long for my 75 gallon tank. I will be keeping Fish Only w/ live rocks.

Live Sand = 4 X 20 lbs Caribsea Arag Alive Fiji Pink

Water Flow - return pump about 800 gph - 2 MP10 @ reef crest mode.

Live Rock = 80 lbs

Do I need a skimmer only?

Should I put LR?

Should I convert it to refugium?

Light = 2 X 54 W T5

Thanks in advanced !!!

~JC

Rapide
08/21/2012, 01:00 PM
Stock list:
...I don't think the hippo, purple tang, perc or the filefish are aggressive enought to kill four fish.

All fish were added together 20 days ago after a month of cycling

So by purple tang you mean Zebrasoma xanthurum, right?
It is most DEFINITELY capable of killing all those fishes... As is the large hippo tang.

Do you mean all the dead fishes were added at the same time, or ALL fishes?

Was this all new tank, or did you upgrade or move the tank? I upgraded as we moved in may, and had no problems with adding all my fishes to the new tank. Well, all the LR was the same, and I also moved some 1/2 of my old tanks water...

jayclaire
08/26/2012, 05:28 PM
Rapide is correct - the Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) is guilty. He's the only one left in my tank.

BrianD
08/26/2012, 05:31 PM
You are making the huge leap that the fish are dead because of an attack from another fish. I believe you are destined for more losses if you hold to that theory.

dzfish17
08/26/2012, 05:55 PM
Rapide is correct - the Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) is guilty. He's the only one left in my tank.

Ive only been in SW for 9 yrs now but I can almost guarantee that the PT did not kill all of those fish... I smell a troll. You know it was not the purple tang too.

vaporized
08/26/2012, 05:57 PM
There are too many questions with out answers to say who is guilty. The best guess is "You".