PDA

View Full Version : lighting for bta

greg1786
08/21/2012, 01:18 AM
i just picked up a new Rbta today. is 10hrs of light under 48"dual t5 ho fixture the right amount of time? its a 55gallon reef

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

seamonkey84
08/21/2012, 04:18 AM
That is barely enough light IMO. But as long as the rocks are piled high enough it will prob find a place it likes. 8-12 hours is fine, most do about 10 hours I believe.

greg1786
08/21/2012, 12:09 PM
ok i have another t5 fixture that i added this am after reading your post it is also a dual light giving me a total of four bulbs two actinic 420 and two 10000k daylight. that should be plenty of light now right? the nem has settled into a rock about 10" from the top of tank

andip3
08/21/2012, 04:45 PM
I have had mine in a 60 gallon with 4 t5s for about 10 hours or so and they did great and I now switched most over to a 15 gallon frag tank with 2 t5s for same amount of time and they seam to love it. as long as you switched to 4 t5s that should be good and it will find a spot that it likes

seamonkey84
08/21/2012, 08:17 PM
4 bulbs much better over that deeper tank.

elder luis
08/21/2012, 11:59 PM
what´s the perfect PAR for those anemones?

seamonkey84
08/22/2012, 12:07 AM
It really depends on the nem and if it's healthy. It will move to where its most comfortable. But from what I've observed in my tank and others, between 50-80 seems to be the happy average, depending on flow and feeding as well. But giving it access to ~100 par seems appreciated as they sometimes stretch and lean towards the light more than usual but still stay put with their foot.

greg1786
08/22/2012, 02:06 PM
yea mine moved around on a group of rocks for about an hour until it got situated and since hasn't moved...it has opened up completely and stayed open ....its tentacles do point to the light but appears happy. has been in for three days now and other than when the lights go out and he pulls his tentacles together pretty tightly he hasn't deflated or shown any signs of stress at all. will be adding a bonded pair of cinnamon clowns next week just wanna give it time in its new home before they try n hosts. how long should i wait to feed?

greg1786
08/23/2012, 04:19 PM
bump......anyone??

ssgtgonzo
08/23/2012, 07:07 PM
Are you asking about feeding? They can go a while between feedings, but I would feed before you add an aggressive clown in, else it may mouth dive. As for the lighting, post a picture and it would be easier to tell if it's struggling to get more light or if it's ok.

greg1786
08/23/2012, 07:38 PM
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/greg1786/2012-08-21014534.jpg here's a pic I think he is doing good my question about feeding was that he's been settled in the tank in same spot since about an hour after I added him which has been 4 days so I was wondering when it would be good to feed him for first time ...Sry if my last post was confusing

worm5406
08/23/2012, 09:52 PM
Here is my guy/gal... Attached to the bottom of the tank. 24" down.. so really 21".
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UU8ACwgr6Stgd5rdDFyDm9Eg&hl=en_US" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

What do you think about the lighting on it and how it looks. It is only 2 weeks in the DTA. Eating like a champ.

Full screen it and play in high def if you can. Look much better that way.

greg1786
08/23/2012, 11:24 PM
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/greg1786/2012-08-22232903.jpg here is a better picture I just took in when I got off work about fifteen minutes ago

ssgtgonzo
08/24/2012, 04:57 AM
Well it looks SLIGHTLY bleached, so i can't tell if its on the mend or getting worse. Make sure to monitor that, if the tentacles become more clear, additional lighting may be necessary.

Feeding, that nem looks pretty happy (sans possible bleaching) so feeding may not be needed, but would be appreciated. IME, if you feed 1-2 times a week, your bta will get big. If you feed 4-5 times a week (SMALL meals) it will split more readily. Again, just my experiences from my BTA prop tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

greg1786
08/24/2012, 02:20 PM
ok...the nem actually has some white flecks all over his oral disk but the fish store said it is just natural coloring in many rose bta so I googled the rose and found that a lot of them actually did have the same coloration do you find this to be true? the picture quality is pretty crappy I took it w my phone but the tips are actually a very deep pink almost opaque and his body other than the flecks of white is very dark pinkish red as well

greg1786
08/24/2012, 02:27 PM
ok...the nem actually has some white flecks all over his oral disk but the fish store said it is just natural coloring in many rose bta so I googled the rose and found that a lot of them actually did have the same coloration do you find this to be true? the picture quality is pretty crappy I took it w my phone but the tips are actually a very deep pink almost opaque and his body other than the flecks of white is very dark pinkish red as well

velvetelvis
08/24/2012, 02:31 PM
I think white flecks in the oral disc are normal and pretty common. I have three BTAs (two very healthy, one recovering from inadvertent neglect) with those markings.

ssgtgonzo
08/24/2012, 02:47 PM
Absolutely normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

greg1786
08/24/2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you for all your help. It is good to hear that the white is normal from some of you guys on here that reassures me that i got a goo dhealthy nem. I tried a Long tentacle anemone back when i was new to the hobby and didnt do much resarch and ended up loosing it because i didnt have the proper lighting. I tried a green bubble tip not too long ago and had a guy at my lfs help me pick out a light fixture. He sold me a coral life t5 that was not ho but told me it was and i also lost that nem. So this time I did about a months worth of research nearly everyday until i was confident that i knew everything i could befor purchasing a new one. My water quality is excellent with the exception of phosphates at .25 but i am working on it. I have just been very nervous and catious about the rbta because i lost two before tho i feel that i was unprepared and too inexperienced in my last two attempts. If there is anything else your guys would like to share with me or any advice you have i greatly appreciate it but thanks again for everythign up to this point. I will feed the nem tonight and let you know how it turns out!

Korrine
08/24/2012, 04:05 PM
You don't have to feed the nem weekly either. I've been feeding mine 1x a month lately. I feed it PE mysis, oyster eggs (which I feed my acans and I just happen to give to the nem as well) and small chunks from a homemade blend of all kinds of stuff. Mine is a little lighter, but it isn't bleached. I have a 250 MH over a 40g and have had the nem for probably 6 months now. I think it's because I was running too much gfo. I have some corals that have suffered as well.

nathan_krauss
08/24/2012, 04:32 PM
In the Clownfishes book by Joyce D. Wilkerson, there was a survey done that recommended 3.5 to 4.3 watts per gallon with half being Actinic. Those anemones survived longer than 24 months.

greg1786
08/24/2012, 05:18 PM
excellent because I have a total of 156 watts on my 55gal and 78 are 10000k and 24 are 50-50 and 54 are actinic 420 I guess I could use a few more watts but this should be sufficient if the nem is in the top 10" of the aquarium right?

greg1786
08/26/2012, 01:59 PM
I would like to add my two cinnamon clowns back to the dt tonight when I get off work the nem has been in the tank for 6 days now. do you think he is ready for them and should I feed him before I put them in?

sjwitt
08/26/2012, 02:20 PM
It should be fine. They may not go to it immediately anyway. Yes, I'd feed it. I feed mine weekly and they are huge (2 RBTAs) ... my cinnamon took about a year to decide to associate with them ... now she has 2. ;)

greg1786
08/26/2012, 04:31 PM
cool...the last gbta I had I put it in the tank with the clowns already in and they hosted immediately but they were very rough and I think thank contributed to its demise because it was pretty small. this nem is much larger and now that she is good n settled in I figured it'd be good to go but wanted some imput from rc which is always the best