PDA

View Full Version : looked at tank late at night wow what are they?

greenvillecoins
08/22/2012, 06:04 AM
i followed peoples suggestion and took a flash light and looked at my tank about 3am and saw alot of red worms with legs alot of legs like a centapeed and brown ones also... then this thing that looked like a rolly polly but had a clearish white gel he was moving on like a snail but no shell and about a half inch long,,, and now i have this yellow mass growing out from under my live rock,,,,thats about 3/4 inch long and half inch wide,,,looks like a coral but yellowish clear? should i be consirned? thanks so much ken

EllieSuz
08/22/2012, 06:12 AM
The worms are bristle worms and they are good scavengers and a valuable part of your cleanup crew. Luckily, they hide during the day when we're more apt to have our hands in the tank. They leave those bristles in your finger and it stings a bit. The yellow thing is probably a sponge. They grow in dim light so that's why it's upside down. I have some that are pale pink, exactly the color of bubble gum.

greenvillecoins
08/22/2012, 06:43 AM
ill take a pic and post, when the lights go on its weird looking thanks for the advice on another thread they asked me to post a video,,,should i start a new thread with it and with my questions? i dont want to keep posting new threads,,,

worm5406
08/22/2012, 07:28 AM
Does it look like this:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kfugF2hVM8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

greenvillecoins
08/22/2012, 08:07 AM
no these were red bodys with legs on side small pointy tips on the legs and the tanish ones were the same...but smaller then red

Dapg8gt
08/22/2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah I think what you are seeing are bristle worms. They are good for eating leftover food a dead things. Just google "bristle worm" and look at the pics that should tell you if they are them. I second the yellow thing most likely is a sponge also good thing they are filter feeders so they will help with cleaning the water.. And the snail type thing did it have a disk like thing in place of its shell? Flat looking? If so those are also good at grazin on the rock I can't think of the name off hand but I have quite a few and reefs to go sells them for a couple bucks each.

worm5406
08/22/2012, 11:37 AM
no these were red bodys with legs on side small pointy tips on the legs and the tanish ones were the same...but smaller then red

haha... That is what the video shows... Wait.. I did not put up the video from my vacation at the beach did i?

Dapg8gt
08/22/2012, 11:44 AM
The worm in the vid looks different than any bristle worms I have or seen. Mine have the same size bristles everywhere. Not patches like that one. I've never seen one like that in my tank. Looks cool..

Freddie83
08/22/2012, 12:31 PM
The worm in the vid looks different than any bristle worms I have or seen. Mine have the same size bristles everywhere. Not patches like that one. I've never seen one like that in my tank. Looks cool..

It does look pretty cool. Where do I buy one? :lol2:

Dapg8gt
08/22/2012, 12:38 PM
Ha ha.

Will Haider
08/22/2012, 12:39 PM
Are they made and wide if so they are fire worms and will pray on snails and hermits and are harmful to you skin so beware I removed one with tweezers.

worm5406
08/22/2012, 12:51 PM
No they are not fireworms... They are much different.

Will Haider
08/22/2012, 01:09 PM
I KNOW WHAT A BRISTLEWORM IS. A fireworm is what he saw because he says that its not a bristleworm what hes seeing they have feet and walk not crawl like a bristleworm.

worm5406
08/22/2012, 01:51 PM
Ohhh True... My fault.. Was not reading correctly.. Too much caffeenneeneenneeeee

Will Haider
08/22/2012, 02:01 PM
It's fine bro and I know how that goes! Lol

Rinkrat
08/22/2012, 06:57 PM
Bristle worms are awesome you can spot them under the light as well they will be inside your live rock.

philosophile
08/22/2012, 07:12 PM
The video shows a big bristleworm... Little bristleworms hairs look less like discreet bunches and more like white fuzz or legs all around them. So before you start worrying about fireworms google pics or snap some photos and post them. Fireworms are not very common.