PDA

View Full Version : Mag 24 wont restart after losing power

1DeR9_3Hy
08/22/2012, 08:06 AM
I was given a free Mag 24. It runs normally, but if you unplug it then plug it back in it wont start up. Sometimes unplugging it multiple times in a row can make it start up, but i usually have to pull the cover, remove the impeller, and then put it back together. After i do that, it will fire right up and run until the next time i unplug it.

Anyone have a solution for this problem? I already bought a new impeller thinking that might fix it, but i still have the same problem. Its like its binding somewhere, but the impeller shows no sign of premature wear and the pump itself is almost new.

buffalo123
08/22/2012, 08:51 AM
I had that with a mag 12 i place a small plastic washer under the nipple at the end of the impeller shaft makig it a bit longer. That work for me.
Also check the cover for wear.
While its apart be sure and clean it, if its been runing for a long time.

1DeR9_3Hy
08/22/2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks, ill give that a shot. The pump is literally brand new, it had this problem since day 1 and the store told the guy i got it from to keep it and they gave him another one.

Chris27
08/22/2012, 12:46 PM
May just be a bad pump then....it happens from time to time. If a new impeller or good vinegar cleaning doesn't fix the issue, then I'm afraid that pump should be reserved for things like water changes and other maintenance activities. I wouldn't trust it to run the tank given it won't start up regularly.