PDA

View Full Version : SPS low phosphate food question.

hypnoj
08/22/2012, 08:31 AM
Any advice on some food for my SPS that is super low on phosphates? I know this is always the big challenge. I only seem to get PE at night time though and would love to get it during the day as well. I'm hoping that if I increase my nutrient load, for my SPS only, that I'll get PE during the day as well. I haven't purchased any coral foods specifically yet. I'm looking for small micron stuff, I'm assuming, since the polyps on SPS are so much smaller then LPS, softies etc. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

rigleautomotive
08/22/2012, 10:05 AM
Oyster feast is what I use regularly.It has some pretty small micron particles.(caution though with it becoming a pollutant,use sparingly)FYI,contrary to writings I have seen,cyclopeeze is consumed by acroporas in some instances which is a much larger micron then these stoney corals are reported to be able to consume.I see it in my DT pretty regularly.A polyp will grab a cyclopeeze and hold on to in until it engulfs it with mesenterial filaments.

rogergolf66
08/22/2012, 07:57 PM
Tagging

hypnoj
08/23/2012, 12:55 PM
So is this the elusive question? Something a lot of us have asked but has never been answered properly? If you have any input, let us know :) (thanks for the oyster feast tidbit too :)

Gumma 1
08/23/2012, 06:03 PM
coral vitalizer is a great coral food and will not increase n&p.

InADream
08/23/2012, 06:28 PM
hypnoj,

How are keeping your tank at a low PO4? the reason that I ask is because that will help us when giving advice.

I have a super low phosphate from carbon dosing, and I use ROD'S food to feed my tank. I have to feed a lot to keep the phosphate around .05.

If you are using good husbandry to keep your PO4 low then you will benefit from the coral vitalizer that was mentioned earlier.

You can use a coral food like reef roids to broadcast feed the tank. I use a combo of reef roids and oyster feast once a week. What I do is mix the two together and then turn off all pumps. Feed the tank and I only turn on one pump to low to circulate the mix. After about 10 minutes I turn on all pumps except the return pump. I let that circulate for around 2 hours and then turn on the return pump.

It seems to work great, I have seen better polyp extension day and night and have even seen a boost in growth.

Good Luck,

hypnoj
08/23/2012, 06:54 PM
I keep my PO4 low with a large sump full of chaeto as well as a single TLF 150 reactor with 2/3's rox carbon and 1/3 GFO; as well as barely feeding my fish. I feed my fish about 4 times a week. They get fed a blend of homemade food: clam, shrimp, white fish etc. Nori strips 3 x week. I run biopellets in a separate reactor for my nitrates. It seems when I feed more often or add coral foods like Coral Frenzy I have to clean my glass the very next day; where as I can usually go a few days between glass cleanings. ( I also run a good skimmer and filter sock)

A. Grandis
08/23/2012, 06:58 PM
I don't keep SPS corals here but I use Reef Roids and Coral Frenzy for my zoas with the best results. They are both great products and my nutrient rates are low.
I would target feed the corals with pumps off instead broadcast feeding. Let the food drop on them instead blowing. Feed small amounts.

Grandis.

InADream
08/23/2012, 07:01 PM
Best advice I can give you is to slowly increase feeding until you get to the level you want your PO4 to be at. I would shoot for around .03-05 and see how the corals react.

I carbon dose and feed so much that I have to clean the glass daily. If you are getting unsightly algae then you may have to find a balance between the two.

Good Luck,

rogergolf66
08/23/2012, 07:13 PM
coral vitalizer is a great coral food and will not increase n&p.

I just bought a bottle at that price it better be amazing

InADream
08/23/2012, 07:34 PM
Roger,

Let me know how the coral food works for you, I may need to try it out.

Thanks,