PDA

View Full Version : High ORP?

Dustin1300
08/22/2012, 01:40 PM
I'm one that's constantly looking for something wrong in my system trying to keep it as healthy as possible. I don't have any problems currently but just picked up an ORP probe recently so I had additional nerdy data to evaluate:)

That being said, I've read RHF article on ORP and several other and seems I'm nearing the point where I'm at the very high level of what's acceptable in a reef. I'm not seeing any livestock issues but always working to make the system better.

- Is the high ORP a red flag?
- Is it too close to PH/conductivity probes?

Most recent params as of 8/18 are; Temp - 78.1, SG - 35 PPT, PH - 8.24, Alk - 9.632 dkH, Nitrate - .20 ppm, Phosphate .021 ppm, Iodine .06, Calcium - 440 ppm, and Magnesium - 1380 ppm.

My ORP finally seems to have leveled off after adding 7+ days ago. It's plateauted at 460-480. I dose SeaChem AquaVitro Reef Fuel (Amino) diluted in a couple liters of water each Wednesday/Saturday and that is the dip you see. Before when I just added the dosage I saw a 100+ dip.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp32/Dustin_1300_Reef/ORP-2.png

Older picture of when I built sump a few months back but the ORP probe is smack in middle of PH/Conductivity Probes.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp32/Dustin_1300_Reef/photobucket-5296-1330818497154.jpg

Skimmer is in main section of sump and water enters return section where my probes and three float switches (low, optimal, high) are located:
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp32/Dustin_1300_Reef/IMG_0269.jpg

SI_rEEfer
08/22/2012, 03:43 PM
I find mine tends to drift higher. I need to clean it with a soft brush every couple of days. It will drop immediately after doing so but then rise to a stable value.

CHSUB
08/22/2012, 03:59 PM
you could buy an ORP reducing reactor, but they are very expensive...actually just joking. the higher the better unless you're using ozone. mine gets near 500, but the actual number is not that important.

Dustin1300
08/22/2012, 04:14 PM
I find mine tends to drift higher. I need to clean it with a soft brush every couple of days. It will drop immediately after doing so but then rise to a stable value.

ORP probe is less than two weeks old and would not guess it's dirty:)

Dustin1300
08/22/2012, 04:18 PM
you could buy an ORP reducing reactor, but they are very expensive...actually just joking. the higher the better unless you're using ozone. mine gets near 500, but the actual number is not that important.

So not so much number that matters but the increase/reduction of that number suddenly that should be more alarming. I was just looking at many others controller numbers and no one I saw out of 20+ I looked at had an ORP of 400+. I'm sure ORP placement plays a large role but just seems like it's high for me.

HighlandReefer
08/22/2012, 06:06 PM
Orp and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

Dustin1300
08/22/2012, 06:18 PM
Cliff, I've read the Randy's article as referenced above. I know he quotes that 200-500 is ok but I'm approaching that high number and just trying to get some others opinions on it. In the article he also references if it reaches 450+ on Ozone he'd use that as an upper limit and kick OFF the ozone so it does not climb higher. Just want to make sure that mine is not being inaccurately represented due to the placement of the probe and any other factors I might not be considering:)

tmz
08/22/2012, 07:20 PM
The climb over the first week or so of use is normal as the probe takes time to settle in. I don't know if yours is accurately calibrated. Have you calcibrated it recently and/or checked it against a 400 mv solution away from the tank or possible sources of electricl interference.
I have had issues with electrical interfernce with my ph probe but not the orp? FWIW mine runs in the mid 350 range without ozone but I dose vodka and vinegar and the organics are reducers.

bertoni
08/22/2012, 07:42 PM
I agree that calibration and acclimation time for the probe both are issues. If the tank isn't getting ozone or some other oxidizer added, then the ORP should be fine no matter how high it goes.

Dustin1300
08/23/2012, 07:45 AM
The climb over the first week or so of use is normal as the probe takes time to settle in. I don't know if yours is accurately calibrated. Have you calcibrated it recently and/or checked it against a 400 mv solution away from the tank or possible sources of electricl interference.
I have had issues with electrical interfernce with my ph probe but not the orp? FWIW mine runs in the mid 350 range without ozone but I dose vodka and vinegar and the organics are reducers.

I've not calibrated it but from what I've read you should not need to calibrate out of the box. I'll pick up some 400 mv solution next time I'm at Premium Aquatics and see if it's off. I've got PH and conductivity calibration fluids for other probes but none for ORP.

Dustin1300
08/23/2012, 07:49 AM
I agree that calibration and acclimation time for the probe both are issues. If the tank isn't getting ozone or some other oxidizer added, then the ORP should be fine no matter how high it goes.

That's fair and thanks for weighing in Bertoni. It's really settled into that 470-490 range so unless it's out of calibration, it might stay in that range. I don't see any real big dips on water changes as I do continual water changes throughout the week via a LiterMeter III. Only dip I seem to see is when I dosed Reef Fuel and I've since started diluting that in a couple liters of water and that only makes it dip 10 mv. STABILITY, STABILITY, STABILITY! :spin2:

bertoni
08/23/2012, 06:17 PM
Okay, all things considered, that ORP seems safe to me.