PDA

View Full Version : Starry Blenny Plus Watchman Goby?

Mister_Palmer
08/22/2012, 03:53 PM
I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not to add a Starry to my 90G.
My concern is the Pink Spotted Watchman.

At the stores I've gotten a few "It should be fine" and "You could see if it works"

Anyone with experience? They'd be about the same size.

EllieSuz
08/22/2012, 04:04 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I added a Randall's Goby and the Starry hasn't bothered it in any way.

Mister_Palmer
08/22/2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I feel like they could be fine, but not sure.
The Goby kind of stays in his little corner under his cave.

And it seems like the Starry would be more active. I actually have a tiny one in my 38G right now.

johnike
08/22/2012, 04:40 PM
Mine get along fine, the Starry is constantly cruising and the Watchman stays on the bottom with his pistol shrimp.

Mister_Palmer
08/22/2012, 08:43 PM
I guess my other question would be just one of general stocking.
I was done with fish, but I saw this Starry at a shop, sitting in a little 1G looking case... And wanted it.

I have 2 big fish, and then assorted smaller guys.

Yellow Tang
Foxface Rabbit
Flame Angel
Rose Skunk Clown
Banngai Cardinal
Purple Firefish
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Pink Lyretail Anthias

So the Starry would be #10.
I think I've got pretty good filtration: Reef Octopus 150, 40G Sump with rubble, mud, sponge.
I do WCs on a schedule, etc.

Mister_Palmer
08/22/2012, 08:44 PM
I guess my other question would be just one of general stocking.
I was done with fish, but I saw this Starry at a shop, sitting in a little 1G looking case... And wanted it.

I have 2 big fish, and then assorted smaller guys.

Yellow Tang
Foxface Rabbit
Flame Angel
Rose Skunk Clown
Banngai Cardinal
Purple Firefish
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Pink Lyretail Anthias

So the Starry would be #10.
I think I've got pretty good filtration: Reef Octopus 150, 40G Sump with rubble, mud, sponge.
I do WCs on a schedule, etc.

aandfsoccr04
08/22/2012, 09:41 PM
My watchman goby stays at the bottom with the pistol shrimp and my starry blenny cruises throughout the rockwork. No interaction between the two at alll.

EllieSuz
08/22/2012, 09:46 PM
How big is your tank? That seems like a pretty heavy bio-load already.

Mister_Palmer
08/22/2012, 10:55 PM
90g and then the 40g sump.
I've never had a bad water test, Ammonia always at 0, Nitrite at 0, and Nitrate fluctuates between 10-15 usually.

rssjsb
08/23/2012, 09:24 AM
I doubt they would interact at all, but I wouldn't add any more fish after that.

EllieSuz
08/23/2012, 11:05 AM
Let us know how you like your new Blenny. Mine is the star attraction in my tank.

Mister_Palmer
08/23/2012, 05:16 PM
Well it's in...
So far so good, I'll update

Mister_Palmer
08/28/2012, 12:31 PM
Well they stayed clear of each other for about a week, and now the Blenny has decided to make the Watchman's home his home...

In the entire tank, the Watchman had dug a little hole that he lays in, and of course that's where the Blenny lays now as well.

So the Watchman is displaced. I feel kind of bad.
Really, there's an entire tank of rock, go make your own hole Blenny.

You can see the Blenny's head poking out, and the Watchman waiting to get access. No fighting though, no real interaction.

http://i48.*******.com/2ue72uo.jpg

EllieSuz
08/28/2012, 12:45 PM
My Starry Blenny has a whole bunch of favorite spots to sit. I put a plastic shower caddy in the tank to hold some frags until I could get around to gluing them. Now the Blenny lays inside it much of the day. Yours will probably branch out and the Goby can reclaim his hidey hole.

Mister_Palmer
08/28/2012, 12:53 PM
Well he was living on the other side, and then he ventured to the right side and was like, "Ooooh, an established hole!"

The Goby slept there and everything, but last night he was just laying in the sand out front.
Oh well, they can handle it.