PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals that directly kill anaeoribic bacteria?

popsock
08/23/2012, 06:08 AM
Hello everyone,
I've had a system running for one year with a nitrate level reaching a maximum of 2ppm (amongst many other systems).

A friend of mine has several tanks all of which have bizarrely high nitrate levels that we simply can't get to the bottom of.

Recently he has been looking after my system which involves him occasionally putting his hands in the tank. He does not feed the system though.

Since he's been doing this, the nitrate levels of MY system has started to increase dramatically.

It could be coincedence, but I can't help thinking that either his body chemistry or something on his hands is directly killing off or retarding anaerobic bacteria in my system.

Of course it could be another unexplained reason, but what do you think of this idea?

He's a mechanic, and hands are always oily, although he goes to great trouble to clean them as much as possible.

acroman
08/23/2012, 06:27 AM
Its possible that there is something from his hands, but that shouldn't be doing anything to anaerobic bateria. Have you checked your nitrates using a different test kit?

Also, your system is maturing, your bioload is increasing, etc.

What do you typically do for nutrient export?

Lostinthedark
08/23/2012, 06:58 AM
Its amazing how every system is different. I found once I set up a good sized fuge my nitrates stay near zero. It could be something on his hands affecting the fauna tempoarily but usually the small amount that would enter the water is easily absorbed by the system. Could it possibly the cleaner he is using to get rid of the grease?? That might be more toxic than the grease itself.

KafudaFish
08/23/2012, 07:30 AM
Have him wear rubber gloves for 2 months when he is working with his tanks and see what changes.

Mechanic + automotive fluids + heavy duty cleaner = dirty nails etc. no matter what and eventually something could be released.

Make up some saltwater in a bucket, test it, then have him put his hands in and test again to see if anything changed.

rbirling
08/23/2012, 01:21 PM
My first thought was antibacterial soap.

billsreef
08/23/2012, 05:40 PM
Are you really sure he's not feeding the tank?

SushiGirl
08/23/2012, 06:59 PM
My first thought was antibacterial soap.

Are you really sure he's not feeding the tank?

My thoughts too.

BeanAnimal
08/23/2012, 09:45 PM
I got a slab of bacon and a growler of the finest IPA that says he is too!

jerpa
08/23/2012, 10:19 PM
He only fed the fish when they looked hungry....

Ron Reefman
08/24/2012, 04:10 AM
What do hungry fish look like? :headwally:
Having been a racecar mechanic for almost 20 years, I'm betting on automotive fluids, solvents like brake clean and soaps, especially anti-bacterial soaps as mentioned above. Wear gloves, it's an easy and cheap way to find out. :beer:

jerpa
08/24/2012, 05:52 AM
I just find it hard to believe that a chemical on his hand is only wiping out anaerobic bacteria while leaving everything else in his tank unharmed. I would be willing to bet the high nitrates are from food regardless of how little he says he feeds. There are many problems that I would say may possibly come from contamination of someone's hands. High nitrates arent one of them.

acroman
08/24/2012, 06:31 AM
If there is a chemical in automotive fluid that can selectively kill only anaerobic bacteria at super low concentration, while leaving ultra-sensitive things like corals unaffected, this is a scientific breakthrough... and highly unlikely.

My $$ is on your buddy feeding the fish, or slacking on water changes.

gregphoenix
08/27/2012, 11:38 PM
who's tank do i need to feed to get a slab of bacon and a growler of IPA?

nogascans
08/30/2012, 08:46 AM
I came across this thread after reading quite a few about brown algae, etc.. And was wondering if anyone had thought about phosphates in everyday soaps we use? I believe that phosphates can be found in most body washes, hand soaps (except a few that are listed as phosphate free) I know to wear gloves, and especially important when fragging lest we become the infected, but often in my 90 I'm up to almost my arm pits in it. Could this be a logical way that some foks seem to have high phosphates even with R/O D/I?

David

Chris27
08/30/2012, 09:58 AM
I got a slab of bacon and a growler of the finest IPA that says he is too!

Can you get Nugget Nectar in growler's?

billsreef
08/30/2012, 11:42 AM
I came across this thread after reading quite a few about brown algae, etc.. And was wondering if anyone had thought about phosphates in everyday soaps we use? I believe that phosphates can be found in most body washes, hand soaps (except a few that are listed as phosphate free) I know to wear gloves, and especially important when fragging lest we become the infected, but often in my 90 I'm up to almost my arm pits in it. Could this be a logical way that some foks seem to have high phosphates even with R/O D/I?

David

Soap residue would not have the isolated effect on just anaerobic bacteria that he is thinking of. It would have a pretty broad effect on all bacteria, and likely the surface dwelling aerobic stuff would be hit first, causing an ammonia spike.

Can you get Nugget Nectar in growler's?

Sounds like a beer loaded with Nugget hops, yumm :beer:

Chris27
08/31/2012, 05:40 AM
Sounds like a beer loaded with Nugget hops, yumm :beer:

Troegs - Find a Total Wine or similar craft shop near you and if you're luck they may have some. When it's released in Philly, the few bars that can get a keg usually kick it the same night.

billsreef
08/31/2012, 09:40 AM
Troegs makes some good beer, and I do have a Total Wine nearby :D

Chris27
08/31/2012, 11:56 AM
Troegs makes some good beer, and I do have a Total Wine nearby :D

Sounds like you'll have something to share this evening on that college campus of yours....:beer:

BeanAnimal
08/31/2012, 04:11 PM
Troegs... meh, not bad, not great to me. Nice guys from what I understand. I have been drinking a good bit of the Lagunitas IPA and Maximus IPA, much better (IMHO) than the dogfishhead 60 or 90. We have a local brewery "East End Brewing" and they have a "Big Hop" IPA that is awesome.

One day soon I will have my own setup running. A club member (left the hobby actually to get back into beer) brews some pretty high quality stuff. Yum.

Enjoy the weekend folks.

EDIT:
Post Padding?
Please note that post 20,000 was about beer and bacon, not fish.
mmm Beer...

divinedragon13
08/31/2012, 05:58 PM
gratz on 20k post