PDA

View Full Version : Apex and powerheads

eyesinthedrk
08/23/2012, 12:29 PM
when a powerhead is not controllable does that mean it doesnt have variable intensity or that i needs to run constant? could i still sequence some vortecs and korilia PWs with simple on off commands on the dc8 or will that damage them?

eyesinthedrk
08/23/2012, 12:49 PM
correction they are Tunze and Koeilia 3, not vortec and neither are "controlable" if that maters at all

ReachTheSky
08/23/2012, 01:05 PM
It means their speed can't be variably controlled. They can still do on/off commands. You can use the oscillate feature in your Apex controller and dial it in.

It does not damage the pumps. It might reduce their lifespan by a bit since they're not exactly meant to operate that way but it shouldn't be a big deal - plenty of people run them this way. Some pumps make annoying clicking sounds too when they turn on/off.

dan-in-gr
08/23/2012, 01:12 PM
For Tunze, they are to have a minimum of 15 minites on and off cycle, if shorter can cause damage to prop and shorter life.

RoachF4
08/23/2012, 01:52 PM
dan-in-gr
Where did you here that from? That go for all models?

dan-in-gr
08/23/2012, 02:14 PM
dan-in-gr
Where did you here that from? That go for all models?

Hi, That is direct from Roger at Tunze USA, see sponsor forums.

Not sure of all models, I was talking to him about my 6065 model, but seemed to indicate in general all non-controllable models. I now have two 6105 controllable pumps with the 7095 controller.

When I first got my 6065 model, I was having an issue and plugged it in and out several times fast from the outlet (a few sec's apart), it threw my prop forward and had to buy a new prop, so I found out the hard way that they cannot be turned on/off very fast.

Roger at Tunze USA (Austin,TX) is a great guy, very nice on phone and emails and fantastic service and knowledge.

James77
08/23/2012, 02:16 PM
It would be for all the non controllable/ AC powered pumps.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196954&highlight=cycle

There is very little difference between the 6025 and 6045, they use the same disk, same shaft, same drive unit and most of the differences are superficial, they work the same way. I am not sure how fast you are alternating them but these pumps are not suitable for use on wavemakers, it must have at least 15 minutes between switching off and on and the longer the better, this is covered in the manuals and we recommend only basic household timers, my personal recommendation is no more than once an hour. The drive units wear out quickly otherwise and the 6055 is the version intended for controllers as rather than the chattering mechanical start it uses an electronic starting system. With the 6025 and 6045, the stuttering you describe is normal, these pumps were mainly built to be plugged in and run continuously and while you can alternate them a limited amount they will click and chatter on start up.

Assuming they have not been quickly cycled in which case I would assume the drive units have broken or worn out and they will all do this eventually, the likely issue is the 6045's were older stock and did not have the newer carbon reinforced plastic drive unit and disk we use now. This only increases the durability but does not make them safe for rapid on and off cycling.

eyesinthedrk
08/23/2012, 05:53 PM
thanks for the info and input. thats what i needed to know