PDA

View Full Version : Is this alive? ID

Dreid
08/23/2012, 12:59 PM
After watching this tube on a piece of LR i got from the lfs i'm wondering if it's alive. That'd be interesting if it was. It's gained a bit more color since this photo. Tube worm? Thanks for looking :)

http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj583/dreid117/?action=view&current=IMG_1588.jpg

rssjsb
08/25/2012, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't tell from that picture what I'm supposed to be looking at. Can you post a bigger picture?

Fphipps
08/27/2012, 07:40 AM
it looks like a tube worm. has anything come out of it? it could just be a the leftover shell of the tube worm

Recty
08/27/2012, 11:05 AM
The thing you're looking at isnt alive, it's the shell of something alive or that at one point was alive, it's hard to say if something is in there now. Look in at night and see what is sticking out of there.

Quite a few worms build calcareous shells as homes. I cant tell you what type it is, but I can guess with about 99% confidence that's what you're looking at.

It's like a stationary snail, in my mind anyway :)

rssjsb
08/27/2012, 09:02 PM
You guys have better eyes than me. :-)

Fretfreak13
08/28/2012, 08:06 PM
Its the empty, feather duster looking tube smack dab in the center of the picture.

Yes, it does appear to be empty. If you saw something move in it, it very well could have been an amphipod hiding and poking his little head out (mine hide in those all the time during the day lol). They're beneficial, but he doesn't live in the tube like a feather duster would. If its gained color, do you mean turned a bit browner? Probably diatoms growing on the outside of it. =)

SushiGirl
08/28/2012, 10:07 PM
I had to download it & blow it up to see it. Looks empty. It's always best to post larger pics to help aid in ID.