PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Dream

Megaloptera
08/23/2012, 07:12 PM
I just cycled my first saltwater tank. Its a 30 gallon tall with HOB filter, powerhead on a sponge filter, 18" 15w 8,000k fluorescent light. It has a sand bottom with half base rock and half live rock. Today was my first day of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Other than bacteria I have a healthy population of bristle worms and amphipod/copepods. The algea cycle is underway with a thin layer of brown on the sand and some dark cyanobacteria on some of the live rock. Well I've done some research but I want help dreaming on how to stock this tank. Since the tank is tall I will need some fish that aren't scared of some open water. My goal is color and biodiversity.

My thought:
CUC (snails, hermit, shrimp)
bottom dweller (Blenny)
swimmers (fire fish maybe dwarf angel)

Help this first timer with what you know would be compatible and yet most biodiverse and active for this 30 Tall. Thanks

chrisfont23
08/23/2012, 07:23 PM
Sounds like you have done your homework. I am assuming you are forgoing LPS and SPS corals due to your lighting choice. Best advice for a FOWLR is to stock it slowly. I would not add more than a fish at once in such a small and new tank. You don't want to overdo the bioload capacity a new tank can handle. I think a dwarf angel would be ideal. Check out a Coral Beauty (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+438&pcatid=438), a FlameBack (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+446&pcatid=446) or Flame (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+444&pcatid=444). They're real colorful and would do fine in your tank.
Just one question... how much live rock do you have? The HOB filter may eventually become your enemy. They can tend to build up unwanted nitrate. Live Rock can and should be your #1 source of filtration. Aim for 1-1.5 times your capacity in gallons

Megaloptera
08/23/2012, 07:51 PM
Oh yes, the corals will wait until I know I can handle a saltwater tank. LIVE ROCK - Right now I only have a couple pieces, probably 5 pounds total. Once the base rock is colonized I will have about 20 pounds. So maybe I should invest in a few more pieces of liverock or base rock to up the colonies filtering potential? Have it run its curing cycle then add live stock?

I've kept the HOB for more circulation, it contains only a small filter pad without carbon. I thought it would give the live rock bacteria more surface area until I can add the real rock.

So, one fish at time, good. If I chose a coral beauty how long until I could add a blenny or goby?

chrisfont23
08/23/2012, 08:07 PM
I would. I think you have done some super research - just take it slow. See how the angel responds before you add the blenny/goby. They're both jumpers, so beware.

Angel*Fish
08/23/2012, 08:55 PM
Please don't put a dwarf angel in a 30 g tall tank. Especially one with very little rock. This is not a fish that spends any time at all in the water column. They are constant grazers and must have LOTS of loosely arranged rock to swim in and out of. They need it to feel safe, translate unstressed. Stressed fish get sick.

The recommendations that you read about 30g size being ok, are based on the minimal amount of space to live. Flame angels get BIG, like 4 inches long.

Megaloptera
08/24/2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks Angel*Fish. Could you help me with stocking options for a 30 Tall?

Angel*Fish
08/24/2012, 10:42 AM
I would have some sort of blenny that likes to sit on rocks, some sort of small shrimp goby and his comensal shrimp that likes to stay near their burrow and a pair of Chrysiptera hemicyanea/ Pick them as juveniles, one slightly smaller and they'll pair up. Do not make the mistake of choosing a different damsel species - if you get the wrong fish - it will not be good. These two will select an area mid tank and get busy spawning.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/DamselPIX/Chrysiptera/Chrysiptera_hemicyanea_pic.JPG

I don't recommend a clownfish without an anemone or some sort of host, because they look a little silly that way, to me anyway. Anyone would at least admit it's certainly unnatural.

A firefish might be a nice one to round out the group, but you'd have to ask others about compatibility. With the blenny and the firefish, you need lots of rock and hidy holes to help them get along, but ask someone who has both in that size tank -- i'm just not sure.

Megaloptera
08/24/2012, 06:10 PM
Plannned on a blenny- they are just to interesting to pass up.
Shrimp goby and shrimp - hmm... how deep does the sand bed need to be for them to burrow?
That is a great looking damsel - my tank is acrylic with a blue back so I'm not sure if they would give me the visual apeal, say, that a red fish would.

Oh, I wasn't planning on a clown. I teach biology and am slightly sick of the "nemo" effect.

Will a hermit and burrowing shrimp clash?

Thanks for the ideas.

Angel*Fish
08/24/2012, 06:39 PM
I think if the back is prominent, you probably need more rocks. Don't know of a red fish. Maybe a fairy or flasher wrasse? Not sure about tank size requirements, may not work. Those type of wrasses are nice because they won't bother your wonderful pods and worms.

Not sure about sand depth as it wouldn't be an issue in my tank. I do recommend getting something small like red banded high fin gobies and also be careful in your shrimp selection - the smaller the better (adult size). They can make a mess.

I'm not a fan of of any sort of crab. If I were to get a hermit, I would get whichever one it is that people claim are only vegetarians. Crabs in general eat stuff they shouldn't. I wouldn't trust one not to bother your shrimp.

Speaking of shrimp, the skunk cleaners are so pretty and fairly well behaved, and they have some red. Be wary of getting a blood shrimp, they are beautiful but may stay hidden.

Good luck!