PDA

View Full Version : Different Tangs Okay To Mix????

TiberianSun
08/24/2012, 05:10 PM
I currently have an Orange Shoulder Tang and just introduced a Viamingi Tang. Both are the same size but it appears like the Orange Shoulder is "nipping" at the new one.

I've read other threads after doing a search and noticed folks saying yes provided they are different colors, shapes, etc but also found others that say they have the mixed with no problems.

Is it okay to mix tangs? I have a 92gal corner tank.

Could it just be because the Viamingi is new to the tank?

Dr Colliebreath
08/24/2012, 09:40 PM
If all you are seeing is minor nipping without damage, it is probably just asserting pecking order right now. Watch the fish carefully so make sure it doesn't turn into a situation where one or both of the fish are getting hurt.

By the way, your tank is not large enough for one of those fish, let along both of them, long term. They will become cramped and their behavior is likely to become more aggressive.

TiberianSun
08/25/2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks Dr. The nipping only lasted for about an hour or so. Now they are hanging out swimming together so I think it was as you suggested; establishing a pecking order.

When we bought the Viamingi Tang we talked about the growth concern with the LFS. They said we should be okay for about 8-10 months and then we will need to start thinking about a larger tank or re-home. The LFS helps with the re-home process so that will help.

When we started with freshwater we began with a 55 gallon and got use to the process for taking care of it and worked up to a 200 gallon.

Also 8-10 months will allow my wife and I to decide how we want to progress with this hobby. Right now we are considering a 200-300 gallon long tank in the basement which would be great.

What do you think the minimal size should be?

jjk_reef00
08/25/2012, 01:06 PM
Your 92 gallon corner tank is too small for 1 tang let alone 2 unless both are very small fish. Viamingi tangs grow fast if they are fed well:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

BrianD
08/25/2012, 01:13 PM
You will be much happier in the hobby is you have fish in your tank that are suitable for that size tank. I would remove both of those fish and find some that are more suitable. Those are some of the largest marine fish available in the hobby.

MrTuskfish
08/25/2012, 02:37 PM
You will be much happier in the hobby is you have fish in your tank that are suitable for that size tank. I would remove both of those fish and find some that are more suitable. Those are some of the largest marine fish available in the hobby.

I agree. Its not the tank volume, its the swimming space. Tangs are outer reef fish and need the room. A corner tank just doesn't offer enough room to stretch and even milder tangs can become very aggressive when cramped. I have no proof, but common sense and my own experience just says the overall health of fish suffers when they don't have enough room. Most tangs are very hardy fish; but alive and thriving are two different things. I've seen many tangs in small tanks that just never show off their gorgeous fins & colors.

TiberianSun
08/25/2012, 03:19 PM
Your 92 gallon corner tank is too small for 1 tang let alone 2 unless both are very small fish. Viamingi tangs grow fast if they are fed well:

thanks JJK - anyone have an idea or is it possible to verify the LFS comment of around 8 months before the tangs would get too big? We feed once a day and though the tangs eat most the food they do compete against 2 Wrasse, 2 Clowns, and 1 cleaner shrimp. We alternate between Frozen shrimp and Frozen Cuisine but only one serving per day.

We are looking at a 240 long (96*24*24) and a 300 long (96*24*30). The theme would be moderately stocked.

If we end up not doing the larger tank then we understand our time with these awesome fish is limited but at least we can say we got to enjoy them while we could.

TiberianSun
08/25/2012, 05:13 PM

Also jjk - forgot to say that each of the tangs are right at 2.5 inches.

enjetek
08/25/2012, 07:54 PM
Just because they are small does not mean they will stay that way for long. My orange shoulder tang started off as the smallest tang and then quickly outgrew my 7-8" angel. :). But with a 240 you will be in much better shape to house them.

TiberianSun
08/25/2012, 09:03 PM
Just because they are small does not mean they will stay that way for long. My orange shoulder tang started off as the smallest tang and then quickly outgrew my 7-8" angel. :). But with a 240 you will be in much better shape to house them.

Thanks enjetek. How long did it take for your tang to reach the size of your angel?

enjetek
08/25/2012, 10:33 PM
Oh god maybe a year and a half to two? I didn't think fish could grow that fast but it is possible

jjk_reef00
08/26/2012, 02:30 PM
My old orange shoulder grew from 5" to 9" in a year and a half but I feed 4-5 times a day. The valmingi will grow at least that fast and probably faster. The single feeding may slow that. For what its worth if I was going with 300, I'd get a 8x30x24, 30" front to back. Then create a peninsula style aquascape and your vlamingi tang will have more room to turn around. 24" may seem big but a 14" tang needs a lot of room...

Do some reading in the large tank forum and see how people have things set up. Plan as much as you can ahead of time. When I set up my first 300 I quickly realized a water mixing station is a great help when you start getting over 150 gallons.

Palting
08/27/2012, 08:33 AM
Growth rate? Likey different in different situations, but I bought a juvenile naso at about 2.5 inches, two years later he is about 5".

Mixing tangs? Yes you can :). Here's a shot of my 4 different ones:
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Aquarium/IMG_1423.jpg

Dr Colliebreath
08/27/2012, 10:36 AM
Regarding your question about a tank size upgrade, my favorites are the 240 8x2x2 and the 300 DD which is only 6' long but 30 or 36 front to back.

sandwi54
08/27/2012, 05:24 PM
For tank size, it's always to go long and wide, instead of tall, unless you have fish that are tall, such as French angel.

If you were already going with a 300g, pick 96"x30"x24" instead of 96"x24"x30".