PDA

View Full Version : Help losing fish in a qt tank

kilze1
08/25/2012, 07:38 AM
Hi to everyone at reef central,

I use the info on this site all the time. I currently have 7 fish in a 55 gallon qt tank. They have been at hypo salinity 1.009 for 6 days all white spots have left all fish. All was good until blonde naso stopped eating and became lethargic. 2 days ago. Blonde died today. He has no outward signs of disease. But after death multiple black splotches all over fish. Now blue throat trigger not eating and hanging at top of tank, rubbing on filter tubes. No white spotes. A faded patch by his mouth and a few scales look like they fell off his middle, and he is breathing rapidly. I started a broad tx called lifeguard by instant ocean. Any other recommendations? What disease could the blue throat have?

Beth

Qt is 55 gallons running a fluval 405 and 2 bio wheels no carbon at hypo salinity1.009 and temp at 79.

MrTuskfish
08/25/2012, 08:16 AM
Have you tested ammonia?

kilze1
08/25/2012, 08:56 AM
Ammonia last night was 0 to 0.25. I have been using prime to bind ammonia over the last week. And I have done one 1/3 water change. The lights were left in for 3 days because I didn't know the timer wasn't on

kilze1
08/25/2012, 09:05 AM
Should I do a freshwater dip of the blue throat he will be dead in several hours anyway based on his current behavior?

Irenicus
08/25/2012, 09:39 AM
Any photos? If the hypo was done correctly and timely it would have eased the ich attack; I'm wondering if there isn't another parasite (i.e. velvet or flukes.) You may want to raise the salinity slowly and start a cupramine regimen.

kilze1
08/25/2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks I think my problem is a faulty heater I just spent the last 2 hrs bringing temp back to 84 and still going down my blue throat is still not well laying at bottom of tank breathing much slower. I did do a freshwater dip for 3.5 minutes and he responded well for an hour and now it could just be stress and shock. What salinity to run copper?

MrTuskfish
08/25/2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks I think my problem is a faulty heater I just spent the last 2 hrs bringing temp back to 84 and still going down my blue throat is still not well laying at bottom of tank breathing much slower. I did do a freshwater dip for 3.5 minutes and he responded well for an hour and now it could just be stress and shock. What salinity to run copper?
How high was the temp? As long as increase is gradual, fish can handle much higher temps than normal; reefs commonly see water temps of 90+F.

Cu can be used at any normal SG for fish, say 1.018 or above. You mentioned using an ammonia neutralizer above, they can become deadly when combined with some forms of copper. Cupramine, is one of them.

kilze1
08/25/2012, 04:35 PM
It was at 95 degrees F :( which probably occurred over 3 days. It is now back to 82 degrees and my qt was set up in mid June and is now converting ammonia to nitrates but that just happened in the last week. 1 of 7 fish died. He was rapid breathing and floating diagonal and died over night. My blue throat started doing the same thing today. Now he is just laying on bottom of tank breathing normal and will swim if poked. I think I will just leave it alone for tonight and see if he makes it through. Im glad for the info on the interactions on prime solution and cu. thank you mr.tuskfish. Hopefully the night will go well.

kilze1
08/26/2012, 09:30 AM
Whew!! Blue throat made it through the night. Hiding in PVC now and not eating but still breathing slow and eyes more alert.