PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake eel into my reef tank

kenc87
08/25/2012, 05:19 PM
Ok so here's the question: what are the odds I will have a problem putting my snowflake eel who is in his own tank into my reef tank. I am looking to cut down on the number of tanks in my apt. I do have a few shrimp and crabs in the reef tank but my snowflake eel is a very chill one. I'm just not sure what the chances are I will have a problem. I do keep him well fed.

Buzz1329
08/25/2012, 06:42 PM
Here's a thread discussing the pros and cons of what you have in mind:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143768

Bdial
08/25/2012, 06:45 PM
If you keep him well fed you probably won't have a problem. But all predatory fish are Opportunistic. So if your shrimp or a little fish swims by he may have a little snack.

sporto0
08/25/2012, 07:53 PM
The Snowflake Eel is a Moray, they get big & destructive, i.e. knocking things over & eating any type of clean up crew, I would suggest that you do not attempt this, I kept a Snowflake Eel in my fish only tank for 8 years & he became a pain in the you know what.

Reef264
08/25/2012, 09:16 PM
Having a Moray in a Reef is a hassle at times.You will deal with mostly picking up after it, because they knock a good bit of things over that aren't secured.I have a 3' Zebra Moray in my Display, and it's one of the most calm Doscile creatures in the tank.I can't speak so much for snowflakes.In all the issues that pop up with having one, they never outweigh the joy of having it in there.Its undoubtedly the coolest creature in the tank, he lives with Blennies, & gobies.Hes never even looked at them.

Good luck with it,
-Ray

Paris_Wiley
08/26/2012, 08:16 AM
I have seen this done several times without incident, but you should be prepared to potentially lose the shrimp and crabs. If you keep him well fed there is a chance he will leave them alone, but he is a predator and they are food so there will always be a chance that he will go after them (including any other small fish that you may later want).

Afrankiewicz12
08/26/2012, 09:30 AM
Don't do it no matter what he will eat them

billsreef
08/26/2012, 10:22 AM
Generally safe with fish, their primary diet is crabs and shrimp. So, the crabs and shrimp could become a meal...even if the eel is kept well fed.

downbeach
08/26/2012, 11:06 AM
I have a mixed reef and added a snowflake once. Kept him well fed, but he still ate the best shrimp money could buy: Blood, Cleaner, Peppermint, Coral Banded, I also think he got my Emerald Crab. He had an insatiable appetite.

kenc87
08/26/2012, 11:06 AM
Ya I know he's good with fish as I had some clownfish with him for a while and honestly I think he was scared of them. He never screwed with them at all. I am not sure if I'll end up doing it but he is in his own tank right now and I wanna break it down without getting rid of him :-/