PDA

View Full Version : Filter replacement frequency question

SaltyWenStirred
08/26/2012, 06:18 AM
http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_3_Stage_Filter_Media_Pack_for_Micro_30_Mini_38_Combo_Pack_Aquarium_Replacement_Fil ters_Filter_Media-Innovative_Marine-0I10223-FIAQRPFR-vi.html

I have 4 media baskets. I'm on day 16 of my cycle.

In two of my baskets, I have the original 3 stage filter media (mechanical, carbon, phosphate sponges). Each media pack is $20. They recommend replacing the sponges every month, so that would be $40 per month for changing them.

In the other two media baskets, I have yellow mechanicals sponge on top. In the other two chambers for one of them, I have rock rubble. In the other one I have Seachem bio-media.

That being said, what happened to the idea of rinsing out filter media in RO/DI water and re-using it to keep the bacteria built on it in the tank?

Which sponges really need to be replaced every month? Any of them? Some of them?

If carbon needed to be switched out, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some carbon sponges and cut them to fit?

Should I quit using them all together? I have 35 lbs. of rock (10% live, 90% dry) in a 38 gallon tank.

What is filter floss? I've seen it in a package, but not outside of one. Is it basically like a mechanical filter?

ryeguyy84
08/26/2012, 06:43 AM
Do you have a pic of this setup? I'm confused where the 4 media baskets are

Waddleboy
08/26/2012, 07:06 AM
Changing your media is not going to cause a drastic change in biofiltration. Many lfs sell packs of carbon, phosphate, and filter floss that you can buy for $10 each and cut to size of your basket. Its a lot of media and will last you more than a month. Also filter floss is just a mechanical filter and nothing more

Agu
08/26/2012, 03:15 PM
That's a lot of filtration media and a lot of money to have clean water. In most cases for your size tank regular water changes would be just as effective and a lot cheaper. I use carbon and filter floss every couple of months when the crud is blown off the rocks, other than that water changes maintain parameters.

If you don't want to do water changes by all means follow the manufacturers instructions. You may also want to keep a set of those filters on hand just in case you have issues related to water quality.

acabgd
08/26/2012, 03:36 PM
First of all you shouldn't be running carbon while cycling. I would ditch all the filter media you have and would run only filter floss (to get large particles out of water) and GFO and carbon as necessary. No sponges, no bio media or any other of that stuff.

Waddleboy
08/26/2012, 05:42 PM
First of all you shouldn't be running carbon while cycling. I would ditch all the filter media you have and would run only filter floss (to get large particles out of water) and GFO and carbon as necessary. No sponges, no bio media or any other of that stuff.

Why shouldn't he run carbon while cycling? There is no reason not too.

SaltyWenStirred
08/27/2012, 04:41 AM
Is it because it will neutralize the ammonia and slow the cycle?

Waddleboy
08/27/2012, 05:51 AM
Is it because it will neutralize the ammonia and slow the cycle?

no it has zero affect on that. There is no reason no to do it. Myself and others i have seen run carbon gfo everything from day one with the same results as not running it