PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Mp40, is it worth it????

Crazyfingerz
08/27/2012, 05:02 PM
Hey. I've been in the hobby almost a year now and I have passed through a lot of different tanks before i got to this one. As my knowledge and skills improved I see myself looking at all different avenues that could make my mixed reef tank better.
In terms of flow, i had some regular powerheads that i bought that seemed to be doing the job. I always was aware or the vortech powerheads but found them to be too expensive. I picked up an mp40 today from my lfs to see whats all the hype about these things before I get a second one. So my question is what makes the mp40 so good?

thegrun
08/27/2012, 05:10 PM
#1 in my mind is the low in-tank profile and reduced heat with the motor outside the tank. The variable programability is another big selling point although there are other top of the line pumps that do nearly the same thing. Variability in flow helps reduce detritus and provides livestock with a more natural set of flow conditions.

OffDaHook
08/27/2012, 07:01 PM
I love the random flow of mine and that I don't have a huge pump inside of my tank taking up so much space.

NanoAquatic
08/27/2012, 07:07 PM
Creates a real life like wave. Short pulse mode is awesome and having two Vortechs is even better. Worth every penny, though it would be great if there are other competitions that make it like that to bring the price down. #1 benefit is it doesn't raise the temperature!

insomniac2k2
08/27/2012, 07:12 PM
I like them because they have such a wide area of water displacement, and allow for a lot of random flow. I now own a MP40 and a MP10. It really is nice having them master/slave. I see water moving in every direction now. This will always lead to a healthier tank!

Spyderturbo007
08/28/2012, 06:30 AM
Great question. I'm in the process of deciding if I should drop the coin on one also. But at $235 for the cheapest, it's a little hard to swallow when I only paid ~$50 for my Koralia.

Would I need 2 for a 55g or only 1?

Chris27
08/28/2012, 07:43 AM
I don't feel they are worth every penny, it's just a powerhead really. They are expensive because they are made in the USA, sexy, and hyped by all who shell out the cash for them regardless of the performance. Nobody in their right mind will say they didn't perform like they expected after blowing $1K to get a pair of water pumps.

If I were to do it again, likely I would save a few hundred and go with Tunze, they are easier to maintain, less finicky and much quieter in the tank.

davidadelp
08/28/2012, 08:15 AM
Im contemplating putting the mp 10 in my biocube. How many ppl has this pump in there biocube? Everything I have read on these pumps they are worth it in the long run but will hurt your feelings with the initial price point. I like them because of how compact they are and in a biocube you have limited space as it is.

Spyderturbo007
08/28/2012, 08:32 AM
Are they loud?

gatorlover
08/28/2012, 08:42 AM
I don't feel they are worth every penny, it's just a powerhead really. They are expensive because they are made in the USA, sexy, and hyped by all who shell out the cash for them regardless of the performance. Nobody in their right mind will say they didn't perform like they expected after blowing $1K to get a pair of water pumps.

If I were to do it again, likely I would save a few hundred and go with Tunze, they are easier to maintain, less finicky and much quieter in the tank.

I see by your sig that you have a 180 also. What model Tunze's would you go with if you had to do it over?

Mavrk
08/28/2012, 09:58 AM
For water movement and being able to run different programs, they are great. They also don't add heat to the inside of the tank. Plus they have a nice low profile. However in terms of sound, you can definitely hear them winding up and down. I had Koralia 4's in my tank before these and those are completely silent. I sometimes turn the pumps down when I am watching TV (more so when I watch with my wife), and I would not use them if the tank was in my bedroom. So don't expect them to be silent.

That said, the undertow they create is incredible and I could not believe it the first time I used them. I also see litte vortices of detritus that are fun to watch (like tornadoes in a bottle).

Crazyfingerz
08/28/2012, 11:00 AM
Well i have tested them and I must say they are by far more powerful than any of my other powerheads. On 100% power I cant hear even the faintest of sounds. I like the different modes that I can cycle through, all in all I am pleased.

ReachTheSky
08/28/2012, 11:15 AM
Whether an investment is worthwhile or not is up to the individual to decide. I want the best for my reef so yes, I think my MP40 was worth it and I will buy another one in the near future. Someone with a different mentality than mine might not think so and that's totally okay.

There is no question about the Vortech's performance. They will amaze you. Period. It's up to you to decide if this is worth investing in or not.

L8ndeb
08/28/2012, 11:20 AM
Whether an investment is worthwhile or not is up to the individual to decide. I want the best for my reef so yes, I think my MP40 was worth it and I will buy another one in the near future. Someone with a different mentality than mine might not think so and that's totally okay.

Agreed. I will also purchase another in the near future. With two, it opens up alot more possibilities.

Angel*Fish
08/28/2012, 11:32 AM
I love my Vortech.

nlgill13
08/28/2012, 12:07 PM
spyderturbo,

On a 55g I would suggest either getting 2 MP10's or one MP40. If you want to get a bigger tank down the road you should probably go with the MP40. If you aren't going to upgrade anytime soon I would go with the 2 MP10's so that you can use them in a master/slave setup.

As to how loud they are....They can have some serious vibration issues if you do not line up the wet and dry sides correctly. The other thing that Mavrk pointed out is the windup and wind-down of the impeller. There usually is a lot of noise in wave-mode and can be really annoying to some people. I usually just turn down the pumps a little if I need to hear my self think.

Mavrk
08/28/2012, 12:09 PM
Well i have tested them and I must say they are by far more powerful than any of my other powerheads. On 100% power I cant hear even the faintest of sounds. I like the different modes that I can cycle through, all in all I am pleased.

Really? No sound? Everything else must be too loud then. There is definitely a hum that no one can deny.

worm5406
08/28/2012, 12:12 PM
I am not going to reiterate what everyone else said except:

+1 YES... even if you get bigger (mp40) and upgrade to a larger tank later it is worth it. Run it at 50% or lower in the smaller tank. QUIET!

returnofsid
08/28/2012, 12:18 PM
Our 200DD has been set up for about 4 years now. About 4 months ago, I finally added a single MP40wES, running it in Nutrient Transport Mode, at 100%. Last week, I was able to add a second MP40wES. I got them connected, wirelessly and messed around with different settings. For now, I've settled on NTM, 100% and Anti-Synced. In the past week I've noticed more polyp extension than I've ever seen. I realize that polyp extension is not an indication of health or happiness but I've also noticed an improvement in color, already. Visually, the water, substrate and rocks appear much more clean and the skimmer is definitely picking up more gunk.

I have not bothered to program a wave. If you program a wave, it will be used in any of the ES modes, during a portion of the cycle. Even without programming a wave, during a portion of the NTM cycle, a wave is created! The wave is about 2" from highest point to lowest and stops right at the top of my overflows. It's AMAZING! I can only kick myself for waiting so long!

SNAKEMANVET
08/28/2012, 12:35 PM
I have 2 mp40w es on my 75 and couldn't be more happier with them.I only run mine at 50% in reef crest mode.To me well worth the money.

Toxic Slurpee
08/28/2012, 12:42 PM
I enjoy my MP40. As others have said, the downside is that they create noise. So if you want a silent tank, stay away from the Vortechs.

The amount of water they move is nice, I only run one MP40 in my 90 gallon and it's plenty.

Heliman
08/28/2012, 01:04 PM
In terms of their flexibility and wide range of options for various flow conditions, the Vortechs have no equal.

I cant help thinking that all the cost has gone into the electronics, because the actual moving parts are quite primitive. They are really noisy (well mine are) and so touchy about perfect alignment.

If only the pumping part was as good as Tunzes, or Tunzes electronics were as good as Vortex...then you would have the perfect pump !!

IMO...Vortech not really worth the premium price.

worm5406
08/28/2012, 01:07 PM
I enjoy my MP40. As others have said, the downside is that they create noise. So if you want a silent tank, stay away from the Vortechs.

The amount of water they move is nice, I only run one MP40 in my 90 gallon and it's plenty.

I am curious... can you do a video with sound so I can hear the noise?? I have never heard any, except when I am misaligned. :strange:

Dapg8gt
08/28/2012, 01:20 PM
I have a MP 10ES and love it. It does make noise though like a whirring sound ..Customer service is great also so far. I have an issue with mine spinning the entire wet side when ramped up. It's still within warranty so it is being sent out on their dime when I get a chance to pack it up and ship it. They responded quickly and other than the issue I love it. I'm actually getting ready to get two MP40's for my 150 build after I figure out my lights. I would reccomended them to anyone.

Toxic Slurpee
08/28/2012, 01:52 PM
I am curious... can you do a video with sound so I can hear the noise?? I have never heard any, except when I am misaligned. :strange:

Sorry, not in the position to do that right now. The Vortech sound isn't bad unless you have it in an area with no other ambient noise. Mine gets drowned out by the TV. And if you have it below 50% power it's also very difficult to hear it.

The only time I ever really hear mine if when I'm on reef crest and it spins up over 75%.

worm5406
08/28/2012, 02:32 PM
Ahh Mine did it too.. I end up, after tank maint, turn it to 100% then down to 5.. just to fine tune it.

ryeguyy84
08/28/2012, 03:00 PM
Im contemplating putting the mp 10 in my biocube. How many ppl has this pump in there biocube? Everything I have read on these pumps they are worth it in the long run but will hurt your feelings with the initial price point. I like them because of how compact they are and in a biocube you have limited space as it is.

I have one in my biocube. I like it because of the small footprint and very wide flow.

I have it max out at about 75%

Crazyfingerz
08/28/2012, 04:10 PM
Really? No sound? Everything else must be too loud then. There is definitely a hum that no one can deny.

If you have them on one of the moods if you go close to it you will hear when the propeller slows down and ramps up again. but on a constant speed its silent. I run my own at 75-80%

L_Spec
08/28/2012, 09:51 PM
I went from four 1400gph Koralias on a Smartwave to a single MP40 and I LOVE it. My tank looks so much more realistic and I don't have to guess at what gph I need for my tank since it's adjustable.

Mavrk
08/28/2012, 10:12 PM
If you have them on one of the moods if you go close to it you will hear when the propeller slows down and ramps up again. but on a constant speed its silent. I run my own at 75-80%

I guess I am coming from the 100% setting and one of the modes when I speak of the noise.

Spyderturbo007
08/29/2012, 05:50 AM
spyderturbo,

On a 55g I would suggest either getting 2 MP10's or one MP40. If you want to get a bigger tank down the road you should probably go with the MP40. If you aren't going to upgrade anytime soon I would go with the 2 MP10's so that you can use them in a master/slave setup.

$465 for the MP40 is a little more than I want to spend right now pump. I really wanted something that was variable and would work with my Apex, but that's just an extreme price for a motor attached to an impeller if you ask me. :eek1:

Are there any other pumps that are controllable via the Apex besides the Vortech?

ajcanale
08/29/2012, 05:59 AM
Are there any other pumps that are controllable via the Apex besides the Vortech?

If by controllable you mean the ability to wirelessly change the operation mode of the pump throughout the 24 hour period (WXM module required) No
If you mean controlling varriable pump speed (VDM module and variable speed pump required). Yes

Chris27
08/29/2012, 06:13 AM
$465 for the MP40 is a little more than I want to spend right now pump. I really wanted something that was variable and would work with my Apex, but that's just an extreme price for a motor attached to an impeller if you ask me. :eek1:

Tunze's are controllable, and work with the Digital Aquatics system, perhaps they work with the Neptune models as well.

A 6105 is more then $100 cheaper, flows more, it it doesn't matter how thick the glass is.....

If you don't need that much flow, the 6095 is even better priced @ $260 with 2600 Gal/Hr....

Chris27
08/29/2012, 06:20 AM

If you're going to run them at a consistent speed what's the point in having them, an AC powerhead will get the job done just as well and save you a lot of money....

Crazyfingerz
08/29/2012, 07:51 PM
If you're going to run them at a consistent speed what's the point in having them, an AC powerhead will get the job done just as well and save you a lot of money....

My own is some days old and im still playing around to find the most appropriate settings.

ps3
08/29/2012, 08:51 PM
said i would never spend that amount of money on a pump, i was content with my hydors(4 of them in a 90). moved and bought a 180 and got a good deal on the complete system so i figured what the heck ill try one. well i now own two and i am not looking back. other than the whirling sound when not at a constant speed , my skimmer and return pumps make more noise.guess the only complaint i would have are the cheep self adhesive tie mounts that came with them. had to use a little super glue to hold them in place.

nlgill13
08/29/2012, 10:07 PM
Spyderturbo,

Yeah 465 is expensive. The reason for the price is due to being a DC power pump that has variable speeds and variable setting without needing to owning a controller.

The Apex controller can be used with a ton of other powerheads to create variables speeds and time controlled.

The reason I prefer vortech's is due to there ability to run off of DC power. I run them off a backup battery in case of power outages.

Chris27
08/30/2012, 06:42 AM
Spyderturbo,

Yeah 465 is expensive. The reason for the price is due to being a DC power pump that has variable speeds and variable setting without needing to owning a controller.

Not even close, they are expensive because Ecotech needs to pay folks to design them, market them, and build them....the parts that make up the pump are pennies when compared to retail price.

Here's an example...the power supply retails from Ecotech for $50....you can get a almost exact model from any electronics supplier for $20....retail. So ecotech get's them in bulk from a wholesaler for $15, marks them up to $50 and sells them to people who don't know any better.

They need to recoup the time and money they spent bringing the product from concept to market.....and then make a good bit of profit so the powers that be can have fun with our money.

ReachTheSky
08/30/2012, 08:56 AM
Not even close, they are expensive because Ecotech needs to pay folks to design them, market them, and build them....the parts that make up the pump are pennies when compared to retail price.

Here's an example...the power supply retails from Ecotech for $50....you can get a almost exact model from any electronics supplier for $20....retail. So ecotech get's them in bulk from a wholesaler for $15, marks them up to $50 and sells them to people who don't know any better.

They need to recoup the time and money they spent bringing the product from concept to market.....and then make a good bit of profit so the powers that be can have fun with our money.
Pretty much all businesses work this way.

Then there's supply and demand. The truth is, there is nothing on the market that really compares to the Vortech series. Their design and versatility puts them in a bracket of their own. The lack of competition has not established a widely accepted price-point so Ecotech just pegged a price on their product that they see as reasonable - it earns them great profits while still moving a lot of units. If another manufacturer were to come out with a powerhead that can match or even exceed the Vortech and they price it much lower, you will quickly see Ecotech drop the price to stay competitive.

Wasn't the AI Sol like triple it's current price before the Radion hit the market?

dwolson2
08/30/2012, 10:01 AM
I like that if you have a spare wet side(which is relatively cheap) you can switch them out and have very little downtime while cleaning.