PDA

View Full Version : is it better to buy a "reef ready" tank, or piece one together?

cedwards04
08/27/2012, 07:22 PM
i was just wondering if its better to purchase a "reef ready" tank, or is it better to just piece everything together myself. do these so called reef ready systems really have everything you need to have a nice reef and fish aqaurium or do they require upgrades? i want to make sure i make smart decisions when it comes time to purchase, both cost wise and for the health of the corral/livestock in the tank. i would rather spend a little extra money if it will make things better/easier on the system.

here is the reef ready system im interested in
red sea max 130D
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19849

Windirmere
08/27/2012, 07:58 PM
I started with a biocube 29, after gutting the lights for DIY led's cramming a skimmer and small refugium in the back i really regret seeing a 65g deep tank with stand corner overflow for about the same price as the un-upgraded biocube 29. I am very happy with my tank atm though! but with the small amount of knowledge i have gained in the last 5 months I would really appreciate the 65g tank :(

Biocubehqi
08/27/2012, 08:33 PM
I have a all in one tank, but know many people that don't. All in one tanks are great if your reefing on a budget, the setback with all in one is that they don't leave much room for upgrades. My biocube showed me I love this hobby and reef central showed me I havetheworld of knowledge at my finger tips. I didn't drop a lotofmoney to start with, which is a plusandanegative at the same time. Time to save up for a upgrade. The resale for tanks is not much.

OKDOHK
08/27/2012, 08:37 PM
Since you are new to the hobby, buy reef ready in my opinion. You will need to understand how a salt water tank works. Once you have more experience you will understand why people do what they do with their systems. But i wouldn't buy something like this. There must be large systems with better prices and much more available. I started with a used system. I am glad that i did. Are there no free classifieds in you area. No one leaving the hobby. Here, we have something called kijiji.

Agu
08/27/2012, 08:45 PM
You're confusing an All In One (AIO) with "Reef Ready". The Red Sea is an AIO where everything supposedly necessary is included. A reef ready means the tank is drilled with an internal overflow, additional equipment is needed. Prices reflect the different options. Both can work but it depends on your preferences.

gmate
08/27/2012, 08:54 PM
Reef Ready does not mean you are good to go for a reef when purchasing. You can have a reef in a non reef-ready tank. Reef ready is just the overflow style, meaning it's ready for a sump. You don't need to add a Hang-On-Back overflow box and setup a kit.

AIO, or all-in-one, is a tank that usually includes a skimmer and other equipment or has spaces designated for that equipment built into the display.

Both AIO and RR may still (and usually, 99 times out of 100) require additional equipment purchases. They really just differentiate setup of a sump and placement of equipment. Much like Agu mentioned.

Best of luck.

gmate
08/27/2012, 08:54 PM
double post sorry

rideelement247
08/27/2012, 09:44 PM
Speaking from personal experience, I would buy an aquarium of manageable size but would purchase equipment that could sustain a larger aquarium. I've had the itch before and will probably always have the "go big or go home" bug under my skin.

With that being said, I would set aside an amount of $ you feel comfortable with and begin researching. Compare setups that are used and ones that are new and ones that you'd have to piece together yourself.

But the bottom line (for me at least) is purchasing something I can say I will be totally content with (at least for a few years ;)) and am happy to take care of and come home to every day. But definitely put in a lot of time researching! It is the backbone of the hobby :).

cedwards04
08/27/2012, 09:59 PM
I didn't know there was a difference in reef ready and aio. i guess my question is actually about the aio systems. if i don't purchase an aio then i definitely think a tank that is drilled for overflow would be the way to go. i want the tank to look as nice and neat as possible.

my concern about the aio systems is that it may be designed to fit a wide range of needs and may need improvements to fit my needs/desires, and those improvements may be difficult to make.

rideelement247
08/27/2012, 10:45 PM
I didn't know there was a difference in reef ready and aio. i guess my question is actually about the aio systems. if i don't purchase an aio then i definitely think a tank that is drilled for overflow would be the way to go. i want the tank to look as nice and neat as possible.

my concern about the aio systems is that it may be designed to fit a wide range of needs and may need improvements to fit my needs/desires, and those improvements may be difficult to make.

From my limited understanding of larger AIOs, I would suspect upgrading would be somewhat a hassle equivalent to upgrading a cube style AIO. Just my 2 cents though.

Michigan Mike
08/27/2012, 10:57 PM
At least with a reef ready tank ( or a plain Jane tank you can drill yourself ) the options are endless. You can create a unique setup specifically for your needs or requirements. You won't be as limited to the space requirements of AIO tanks. Plus you will get the equipment you want/need the first time.

Dexters Reef
08/27/2012, 11:17 PM
With that lighting, you will be in the low to medium range of lighting which will limit your coral. You will also need to add at least a powerhead for circulation.

For a lot less money, I would reccomend the BioCube 29 HQI if you want to be able to keep a wider range of corals
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9017+23662&pcatid=23662

Or, the 89w LED Nano Cube 28 (with free stand)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24540

I have a non drilled 46g reef, a reef ready 75g, a biocube 14, and a nano cube 28. I know the differences inside and out between them. Reef Ready tank gives the most flexibility, but the all in one tanks are very sleek and still very capable. Any AIO will need a powerhead added, but the right choice from the beginning will prevent you from having to upgrade lighting. The led nano cube 28 has a media basket and refugium chamber, as well as a wavemaker so these are items you wont need to add down the line.

If you want a AIO, I feel the nano cube LED would be better than the 130D

cedwards04
08/28/2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the info! if i decided to go with the nano cube, would you recommend any additional equipment? if so, what should i add?

Dexters Reef
08/28/2012, 06:49 AM
For the nano cube you will need a 100w heater (it has a compartment in the back dedicated for this, I use a 100w marineland visi therm and it fits nice, I'm sure most others fit also)

You will need an additional powerhead. I bought a 500 gph one.

For the media rack it comes with, I would ditch the stock ceramic rings and run the three compartments with:
1) included coarse filter sponge (or filter floss or bulk filter pad, the stuff that's half blue and half white)

2) small chemipure elite

3) small package of purigen

If you want to run cheato in the rear then that goes in chamber 2/3, if you were to replace one of the above I would say keep the chemipure and ditch the purigen

If you want a larger media rack (which I plan to get also) inTank makes them.

Also if you want the cheato then you need a light for it. Jbj makes a 4 led magnetic Refugium light that fits the chamber and window nicely, I've read many good reviews about this for cheato.

That's about it aside from sand, rock, and your choice of critters!

I just got my 28 jbj nano cube about a week ago. Compared to my biocube it has a lot of nice features. The wave maker is a nice touch, and works well. The hood has an adjustable height stand to hold it open when you work on the tank, there's about 10 different angles you can set it too.

Are you considering the led version of the nano cube? They also make a 105w compact fluorescent and a 150 watt halide version. I went with the fluorescent because of cost, I'm currently stocking a new 75g that's stealing my funds, otherwise I would have gotten the led version. Same tank, just different lights. The MH is also nice and in between in price, but I feared heat issues.

Based on the amount you were planning to spend on the 130D, the 89w led nano cube cost is a little less, and comes with much better lighting, upgradable / customizable filtration, and an adjustable wave maker. The rear chamber of the nano cube (behind the overflow wall) is exposed, so adding a skimmer, hang on sump/ Refugium, or other "plumbed in" things is easy. Fish can not get back there on the jbj.

cedwards04
08/28/2012, 07:46 AM
if i were to purchase it i would most likely go with the led lighting. the more i look into it and the more i think about it though, im thinking a reef ready would be better for me verses a aio, simply because i know i will want the versatility. it seems like i could set up a reef ready tank to be much easier to maintain than having everything all in what appears to be a little chamber at the back of the tank.

while i dont want to spend more money than i have to, i would rather spend the money to start off with quality stuff that i won't need to upgrade or replace soon. don't get me wrong, i dont have a ton of money or anything, but when i do something i like to do it right the first time. that being said my biggest restriction will be space in my home to actually place the tank. i really think around a 30 gallon or so is all i will be able to fit. it will need to be around 30" wide or so. i may even consider having a custom size tank built to give me a little more water volume in the space i have.

Dexters Reef
08/28/2012, 09:55 AM
A reef ready tank is a great choice as well. If you use a sump below you will have a wider range of skimmer choices, and increased water volume.

Sk8r
08/28/2012, 11:45 AM
Reef ready simply means it has been drilled and bulkheaded (holes provided with screw-ins) to accept a hose kit you need to buy separately. You also need to buy a sump (go large: 30 gal, at least), a skimmer, a heater, a skimmer pump, a return pump, and a light kit appropriate for the type of creature you want to keep: light type determines all. IME, I am VERY glad I went with a reef-ready---which does not leak or have problems, and which was very easy on set-up---but could wish I had gotten a 100 gallon. Here's the deal: if you drill your own tank, you risk breaking it or drilling in the wrong place (too close to the rim, or too far, etc). A reef-ready tank also has thick enough glass to handle the load. Bargain tanks---you can have a rockfall in your tank, or a child whack it with a toy, and you can have a crack result. That's a lot of load in a marine tank. Salt water is a bit heavier than plain water, and that adds up; rock can be significantly heavy for its volume, and sand is no featherweight.

An all-in-one deal is a tank usually under 40 gallons with miniaturized versions of all the above included. It is an adequate tank (depending on type of lighting) for a small version of everything, including corals, if the light is enough, but no fish larger than a fairy wrasse or small goby.