PDA

View Full Version : How Much Rock for New Build

Patrick Cox
08/28/2012, 08:25 AM
I am planning a new roughly 100G DT build that I will likely start after MACNA. I have been thinking about a minimalist aquascape to allow more swimming room but there are a couple of reason I have not been able to finalize this decision. One is that my wife seems to like the look of a tank with more rock and corals. Also, when I look at the Tank of the Month history, very view seem to be minimalist scapes. Most are more packed from top to bottom with rock and coral. I understand that a lot of this is likely coral growth vs rock but they certainly don't look "minimalist." So, I am not sure which direction to go.

I guess my question is whether or not one is better than the other and if so, for what reasons? Or, is this purely a choice based on personal preference?

Thanks for your comments.

Pat

75pxatr
08/28/2012, 10:38 AM
I think the tank should reflect what you want not what others like. But having said that, the rock acts as part of your filtration so there needs to be an adequate amount balanced with other filtration.

I like to have lots of rock in the display and in the sump. For my 210 gallon upgrade I will make sure the rock does not inhibit flow... Your build, you get to choose.

Patrick Cox
08/28/2012, 01:54 PM
I think the tank should reflect what you want not what others like. But having said that, the rock acts as part of your filtration so there needs to be an adequate amount balanced with other filtration.

I like to have lots of rock in the display and in the sump. For my 210 gallon upgrade I will make sure the rock does not inhibit flow... Your build, you get to choose.

What are your thoughts on the impact on flow and detritus buildup of rock stacked up the back wall of the tank?

JPerkins2
08/28/2012, 02:13 PM
What are your thoughts on the impact on flow and detritus buildup of rock stacked up the back wall of the tank?

Definitely impacts flow and creates spots where stuff can accumulate secretly.

Much of this depends on the level of bioload you want to maintain. Adjust your rock accordingly. I personally feel like .75 to 1.25 lbs per gallon is sufficient for the bio load I will be carrying especially with the porous pukani I am using.

If it were me I would order 75 pounds of dry pukani rock from BRS for your tank. You will be surprised how much room it will take due to its porosity.

Compared to some of the artifical and/or florida rock,there is no contest.

rovster
08/28/2012, 03:07 PM
I also am setting up a 100 gal, it will be a rimless shallow, and I am definitely going for the minimalist/lagoon type scape. I ordered 75lbs Pukani, 20lbs of shelf, and 10lbs of Tonga, and i will probably use a little over half of that, maybe less. I got extra so I can have "options" and I can always sell the rest away locally.

I do think if you are going to do that, you really need to plan your filtration system appropriately, but I've seen a bunch of tanks with minimalist scapes that do fine. I think it will boil down to personal preference, and the look you are after. For me, its minimal all the way. I hate (no offense) the wall of rock look. This is also the reason I'm doing a shallow rimless, they are more conducive to these types of scapes IMHO.....