PDA

View Full Version : Sump Identification Help Needed

twf0369
08/28/2012, 12:28 PM
Is anyone familiar with a Oceanic Trickle Filter Model 250? Within the last 3 months I've purchased my current set-up and find it difficult to find any threads/information on this type of sump. Basically I'm trying to determine whether I should up grade or go with what I have.

Sidebar - I am in the process of cycling my tank and have noticed a ton of Micro Bubbles. I know it's not from the Protein Skimmer, because I don't have mine installed yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
TWF.

worm5406
08/28/2012, 01:10 PM
Bubbles... Check your returns to your pumps.. If they pull in any air, by accident they will microbubble from them. I had some before, I twisted my return piping and they disappeared. Not enough for water to flow but enough for a small steam of bubbles.

WillM
08/28/2012, 01:19 PM
Is anyone familiar with a Oceanic Trickle Filter Model 250? Within the last 3 months I've purchased my current set-up and find it difficult to find any threads/information on this type of sump. Basically I'm trying to determine whether I should up grade or go with what I have.

Sidebar - I am in the process of cycling my tank and have noticed a ton of Micro Bubbles. I know it's not from the Protein Skimmer, because I don't have mine installed yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
TWF.

If this is set up as a true trickle filter then it depends on if you are running fish only or want a reef with corals. If you are only running fish only then it's fine, but if you want to run a reef tank then you probably want to pull the media that the water is trickling through (your live rock will be your filter media).

And +1 on looking for a leaky fitting pulling air. If you have no microbubbles in your last chamber, but they are coming out of your return then you are pulling them from somewhere in the line, fittings, or bulkheads.

WillM
08/28/2012, 01:21 PM
And just so you'll actually get a ton of differing advice, I'll say two words that should get this thread kick started:

NITRATE FACTORY

You are welcome. LOL.

twf0369
08/29/2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Worm and Will M.