PDA

View Full Version : Will they breed

reret10
08/28/2012, 08:29 PM
well I have a clownfish just a regular juvinile percula clown and I would like to get another one for my ten gallon tank but if they breed I will have to give the babys to the lfs which I am not sure will take all the babys and well even for a day that is to many clowns in a tank. So bacicly if i put 2 together will they even maybe breed or would that be un heard of?

billsreef
08/30/2012, 05:00 PM
Breeding is easy, rearing the larvae is whole 'nother story. Unless you seriously work at rearing them in a dedicated larval rearing set up, any hatched out larvae will simply be food for the tank.

altolamprologus
08/30/2012, 10:56 PM
Breeding is easy, rearing the larvae is whole 'nother story. Unless you seriously work at rearing them in a dedicated larval rearing set up, any hatched out larvae will simply be food for the tank.

Agreed. Also female clowns don't reach sexual maturity until they're a few years old, and many never breed under normal aquarium conditions

Sport507
09/02/2012, 02:09 PM

Well said Bill and so, so true. It takes a lot of work, dedication, learning to observe how the larvae/fry are responding to what you are doing. Some of the smallest details that may seem trivial can make the different between failure and success.

I have to attribute my many years of breeding fresh water Angelfish to my success. To be truthful, I think those by far harder to raise than the clownfish.

Davckowski
09/02/2012, 07:37 PM
dont we all wish it was this simple:fish1:

ernieq
09/02/2012, 09:24 PM
I have to attribute my many years of breeding fresh water Angelfish to my success. To be truthful, I think those by far harder to raise than the clownfish.

I used breed fresh water Angels about 20 years ago, then I moved on to Discus which I though was a lot cooler. To me with angels it was always what the type of parents. At the top of my craze, I had 4 pairs spawning regularly. A pair of silver, a pair of marbled, a pair of gold, and a pair of black lace veils. I had the most trouble with the black lace veils, their eggs didn't have good hatch rates, maybe I had a bad male? But I was raising around 200 angels a month or so until I switched to Discuses. I grew 3 pairs of discus out of a dozen juvis, and did that for a year or so before the job demands got too much and had to give it up. I got rid of all my pairs and put my fish tanks into storage. Then about 14 years ago I went back to salt water, but I never thought about breeding and raising fry again, until my clowns go busy and I got the bug again. :headwally: