PDA

View Full Version : compatability of fish in 85 gallon tank?

tommer725
08/29/2012, 09:05 PM
So I posted this a couple days ago and I cant find it anymore. But I am getting a 85 gal (3 by 3 and 15 inches tall with about 75 pounds of live rock.

Here is what I want to get
flame angel
2 clams
Sand sifting sea star
mandarin
7 to 10 nassarius snails
1 or 2 chromis
And a clown

Is everything compatable? I have a spot to breed pods for the mandarin

Please be detailed about how and why your answers are. THANKS and happy reefing!

Terra Ferma
08/29/2012, 09:48 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The Flame Angel may or may not nip on your clams, depending the particular specimen you get. So keep and eye out for that.

tommer725
08/29/2012, 09:56 PM
Ok what about the mandarin? I think it will be okay. Will add plenty of pods and I have heard of people keeping them in smaller tanks.

Terra Ferma
08/29/2012, 10:11 PM
Depends on rather or not he eats "prepared" foods from the get go. I've found the best food for picky fish is PE Mysis. Ideally you would let the tank season for at least 3-6 months before you add the Mandarin, and that is if you have established live rock. You can buy established live rock but it is expensive unless you get it from someone tearing down an established tank. However that time period can be reduced if you add microfauna and feed heavy on food the microfauna can eat, or have a refugium above the tank (one below the tank that requires a pump to return water to the main tank won't see much micro fauna survive the trip). Just take it slow. You can enjoy a healthy Mandarin for many years so there is really no hurry to get one in your tank. Some eat prepared foods, and some don't...

EllieSuz
08/29/2012, 10:12 PM
Your tank will be big enough for a Mandarin for sure, but you really should wait six months to a year before getting one. Seed your refugium with purchased pods and give them time to populate in the large numbers necessary. I keep Chaeto in a lit compartment in my sump and once a week I give it a good stir so the pods get swept into the return pump and into the display tank. I have a very chubby Mandarin. Also, when you put together your fish list, avoid any species that would compete with the Mandarin for pods. A number of wrasses hunt pods, for instance. Sand sifting stars almost always slowly starve to death in aquariums. It's one of those things that shouldn't be sold, but as long as people pay good money for them, stores will sell them and we'll starve them. Are you planning to quarantine your new fish?

tommer725
08/29/2012, 10:17 PM
I am waiting a whole year before I get one. And why should I worry about microfauna? Shouldn't I worry about pods? Aren't pods what they eat in the wild?

tommer725
08/29/2012, 10:19 PM
I will quarantine fish. And if I have a sand sifting star to turn over sand, what is it lacking to make it starve? I know people who don't feed them and they are fine. What will make mine starve?

Terra Ferma
08/29/2012, 10:23 PM
I will quarantine fish. And if I have a sand sifting star to turn over sand, what is it lacking to make it starve? I know people who don't feed them and they are fine. What will make mine starve?

Microfauna = pods. And a sand sifter will in short order sift (eat) all the mircofauna out of your sand so a sifter is not a terribly useful addition to a tank with a Mandarin.

tommer725
08/29/2012, 10:36 PM
Ok well I have some nassiarus snails to turn the sand bed.

tommer725
08/29/2012, 10:38 PM
Well I will get the mandarin. Thanks for yo. Thank you for the help. I need to revise. Forgot to add skunk shrimp to the list. That is easy. I don't think anything will bother it.

tommer725
08/30/2012, 04:43 PM
I am worried anyone have a flame angel?

reeferstace
08/31/2012, 07:23 AM
I agree with using something besides a sand sifting star to do your sandbed.

tommer725
09/04/2012, 05:25 PM
Like what besides nassariuses?