PDA

View Full Version : LED INPUT: 100w vs 50w LED multichip (for 90 gallon)

jimmy_beaner
08/31/2012, 03:21 PM
I would like to be able to run a mixed reef. This is what I was thinking for lights...
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/brianpinneyphotography/lights.png

I need feedback in terms of... is this light intense enough for a mixed reef? Is there good spread of colors to avoid spot lighting? (I'm planning on no optics). Do I go with 14k or 20k 50W multichips? I was thinking 14k because I can add blue to it with the additional lighting... but I can't "remove" blue from 20k if it's too blue (especially with the accent lighting). I have the GPU coolers on the way in for the multichip, so I'm pretty set on having most of my lighting come from those and the Crees just being additional "accent" lighting (and they'll help with phase in/out sunrise/sunset).

I will have at minimum 2 drivers, more likely three (so I can control Royal Blues independent of the other accent colors, which are expected to be more minor contributors to the overall color). I may also swap some cyan in for some of the blues.

So... 50w or 100w? I want to keep it to two multichips. I have already purchased the GPU coolers and they are good to cool 90W of heat, so I should have more than enough cooling for either multichip.

tomservo
08/31/2012, 10:09 PM
[violation]...

ravi197699
09/01/2012, 05:09 AM
i have just got done with my 2 100w multichip built and i have posted pics of all the parts that i bought and cost of all the parts. these are 30000k color temp and crisp white. i was going to get hybrid but they wanted 125 for those which is way over priced. i have used 18 3w led's along with it and i am going to add red- green and amber color later in near future. i would say get 30k color temp i am sure these hybrid will cost you close to 80 if its epistar or 55 if they are not epistar. you are adding enought violet and blue and royal blue to give you ocean blue color you might be looking for. hope this helps and just to let you know try to get dimmable drivers for 50w or 100w leds you might get it helps alot , i can't ramp my led's more than 20-30% on my tank. this will give you idea how bright they are just go with 50w and you will fine. now i am thining should have gone with 3 50w 30k led's with dimmable drivers. and get the optics for 50w for sure you will have amazing shimmer.

jimmy_beaner
09/01/2012, 05:38 AM
size of tank? what do you keep in it?

Tickle
09/01/2012, 06:33 AM
I'd go for the 100 watters if I were you. If you do the led math for 3watts that should get you close. My 40 calls for 112 and I put up 10 10 watt chips to hit 100 and my sps is digging it. Better to have more and dial it down then not have enough and have to add.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2