PDA

View Full Version : metal halides-actinics; a good deal?

deepstar
08/31/2012, 04:00 PM
Greetings, all:

I found the listing below while searching craigslist for some lights. Is this a good product? There are 725 hours on the bulbs. Will they need replacement soon? Is $500.00 a fair price for this unit?

I'm not sure I want to spend $500.00 out of pocket just to have to turn around and replace all of the bulbs.

Any feedback on my inquiries is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don (deepStar)

Aquaspacelight compact lighting system for reef tank aquarists. Rare 72"L x 12"W fixture, featuring 3x250W HQI Metal Halide bulbs PLUS 4x24W Osram True 03 Actinic bulbs -- for a total of 846 watts of light. All ballasts and lighting is enclosed in a black, powder-coated, extruded aluminum housing with glass panels. Two separate, 6-foot, 3-prong power cords (one cord powers MH bulbs, one powers Actinics). Included steel cable hanging system allows easy one-person height adjustment above the aquarium. Original owner's manual included. Bulbs have seen approximately 725 hours of burn time. This is a very compact, elegant way to light your reef tank. Condition Note: The top surface of the enclosure has several areas where the powder coat has bubbled from storage -- see detailed picture. This is cosmetic only; underlying aluminum is unaffected and the light works perfectly. Asking $500.

Mouse
08/31/2012, 09:41 PM
Rare
Any time I see something classified as "Rare", I get a bit sceptical
Condition Note: The top surface of the enclosure has several areas where the powder coat has bubbled from storage
Powdercoating bubbling from storage ????? Where the heck did he store it??

azjohnny
08/31/2012, 10:04 PM
its a decent price for a 6 ft light system. On an average a 6ft light will run $1000-1400. if you can get it for 50 cents on the dollar its decent. I have a similar system that I got for $300 off of CL

I would change the bulbs since you dont know how truthful he is, after all he is trying to sell it

Dexters Reef
08/31/2012, 11:18 PM
IF he is truthful in the hours, thats about 3 months usage on the bulbs if they run 8hours a day. Halides last around 9-12 months.

My concern is the actinic is not a lot of wattage. With my fixture, the T5HO are not as noticable as I thought they would be when the halides are on, and I have 216 watts compared to this fixtures 96w.

deepstar
09/01/2012, 05:56 AM
Good morning. Thank you all for your kind responses.

Any time I see something classified as "Rare", I get a bit sceptical

Thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't notice the word 'rare'. I did see this item for sale new online and it appears that the item is not so rare.

Powdercoating bubbling from storage ????? Where the heck did he store it??

That is a good question to ask the seller. I've only been on this site a couple of weeks and I've never been on any forum anywhere that the members have all been so helpful so quickly. I believe I will enjoy being here as much as I'll enjoy being back in the hobby.

Don (DeepStar)