PDA

View Full Version : new to rc..

dinthbrgh
08/31/2012, 05:48 PM
hi all!:wavehand:

wanted to introduce myself and tell you little bit about me and my setup...if you can call it that!:debi:

am a brandy spankin' newbie to sw. have a 29g been up for 3 weeks. running with 2 koralia 550 ph's and no skimmer. i realise this means good husbandry, weekly wc's and siphoning out the toilet. started with fully cured lr, and a mix of ls (i know...not really live) and crushed aragonite. i believe i have already been through a mini cycle. the first week i had my ammo, then nitrite spikes, and have been avg between 10 and 2.5 no3 ever since. currently at 2.5. it has been steadily dropping. salinity is at 1.022 and trying to increase it slowly by adding sw instead of rodi. i am using storebought rodi at the moment.

diatom bloom started about 2 weeks ago, right after nitrates went up and ammo and no2 zeroed. added 2 cerith and 2 nassarius. 6 days ago i let my lfs talk me into my first fish. i really wanted a fire shrimp because i knew it was too early for a fish. but i let 'em talk me into it, and, already knowing what fish i want, i brought home a tailspot blenny. def a juvenile, and we crossed our fins. lfs confirmed my tests as accurate and assured me he'd be fine. and he is! i'm amazed at how beautifully he has colored up. he looked good at the store, but sooo much better now. he's eating diatoms and spectrum pellets and kelp wafers. he's progressing exactly as he should and slowly getting comfortable and gaining confidence. very shy fish! that's why he went in first.

so... that's the good, bad, and the ugly. glad to be here!

dzfish17
08/31/2012, 05:57 PM
Welcome to RC. Sounds like youve got a good grasp of things for a newb. By the way... we like pics so get one up for us.

dinthbrgh
09/01/2012, 03:01 PM
so...hi! thanks for the welcome dave! just thought i'd say hi again...really expected someone to tell me what a dope i am for putting a fish in there already...well in nicer words i expect...lol!

Misled
09/01/2012, 04:05 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/welcomeshark-vi-1.gif
To Reef Central

bnumair
09/01/2012, 04:07 PM
welcome to RC and good luck.

chrisfont23
09/01/2012, 04:44 PM
Good luck. Welcome aboard

dinthbrgh
09/01/2012, 05:11 PM
and right after this hello, i do the dumbest thing of all time!! i've been running fw for years and have never dumped fish food into my tanks like this! i know better! well...apparently not...