PDA

View Full Version : Email and text on power outage.

kc350twin
09/01/2012, 08:39 AM
Is there a way that you can have the Apex email or text your when the power goes out? I'm sure it would require some sort of UPS but I'm not sure how that would work. Anyone have this already?

Thanks
Kc3

Kc3

Cbechdel
09/01/2012, 09:18 AM
You need to get the 12 volt adapter and plug the APEX main unit into a battery backup with this.

APEX comes using the Aquabus cable to pull power from an EB8/4 out of box, but adding a 12v power adapter allows it to self-power, and thus provide power out notices subject to being on a battery backup.

ALso, you need to ensure any network devices in your home along the path to the internet are all battery backed up too (any hub/switches along the way, and of course your modem/outer too. If you don't then the apex will generate the email, but it wont travel out until you get power to the devices along the way.

swearint
09/01/2012, 10:48 AM
Starting on page 132 of the New Users Guide (Ver 22), there is a good discussion of power management strategies.

Todd

jorda9095
09/01/2012, 12:20 PM
I added this to the email alarm page after i configured everything
If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON

kc350twin
09/05/2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys. I lost my manual in a recent move. I'm going to look in to it.

Kc3

jdthomas24
09/05/2012, 08:42 AM
jorda9095 , did this code work- have you tested it? never thought about power outage email before.

RussM
09/05/2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys. I lost my manual in a recent move. I'm going to look in to it.

Kc3

You can download manuals from Neptune's web site

www.neptunesys.com -> Support -> Downloads

kc350twin
09/05/2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks again. I forgot all about the "new users guide". My computer is still packed away. In there they say your computer has to be on the UPS device. Is this true?

Kc3

kurt_n
09/05/2012, 04:51 PM
Your computer doesn't necessarily need to be on a UPS, but your router and modem does - and whatever other equipment you need to have an internet connection.

If you're accessing the Apex using a dyndns type account, and if you have an IP updater program installed on your computer, *and* if your ISP changed your IP address during the power outage, you'd need the computer to be on a UPS so it could update the dyndns service. But that's a lot of "ifs"!

kc350twin
09/05/2012, 05:05 PM
Lol, that was one of my next issues. The ip address will change with a power outage. I use logmein to go in and see it when I'm away. As long as I know when the power goes out I can send in the troops or make my way home. I have a vortech battery back up so at least I have flow.

I use DynDNS. What do you recommend for a ip updater?

Kc3

RussM
09/05/2012, 05:25 PM
I use DynDNS. What do you recommend for a ip updater? Use the DDNS feature in you router if it has it. Otherwise, you need to use the DynDNS software downloadable from www.dyn.com (in the Support area) The big drawback with using a software updater on a computer is that the computer should to be on 7/24 in order to continuously monitor for public IP address changes.

kurt_n
09/05/2012, 11:41 PM
Use the DDNS feature in you router if it has it. Otherwise, you need to use the DynDNS software downloadable from www.dyn.com (in the Support area) The big drawback with using a software updater on a computer is that the computer should to be on 7/24 in order to continuously monitor for public IP address changes.

Yup. What he said. My router doesn't have the DDNS feature, so I use the DynDNS Updater software. Works just fine. But as Russ mentioned, the computer needs to be on to be 100% sure you have your current IP address logged.

SteveWong
09/06/2012, 11:22 AM
I put this alarm in as well last night:
If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON

but I've since been getting emails (7 since last night), but there have been no power outages and my Apex controller seems to be working still.

Note this was an experiment since I don't yet have the apex on a UPS, nor a 12V source -- I was thinking this alarm would still send an email once power was restored so at least I could hear about it happening (even if after the fact). I also thought it might send me alarms if for some reason the Apex rebooted.

Why would I keep getting these messages when there aren't any outages?

RussM
09/06/2012, 11:46 AM
Why would I keep getting these messages when there aren't any outages?I'll bet a virtual beer that your status page shows "Power Restored: None" at the bottom, and that you have enabled the Power Monitor feature

On the Misc setup page, disable the Power Monitor feature. It should only be enabled under specific conditions, and you don't have those. Specifically, to use Power Monitor feature, you must have supplemental 12VDC power connected directly to mains, and one of more EB8/EB4 powered through a UPS. When Power Monitor is enabled, the Apex checks the status of power coming in through the aux port jack. If that is absent, the Apex thinks that there is a power loss (it continues to get power from the EB(s) with battery backup). Since you have no 12V aux power, the Apex thinks it is in a constant state of power loss.... hence the repeated emails and the Power Restored: None status.

The name of the Power Monitor feature is somewhat misleading. It doesn't disable or enable the basic power monitoring capability... in reality, it turns on/off an advanced power monitoring mode.

SteveWong
09/06/2012, 12:05 PM
Ahh!

:beer:

You are sooo right. I activated that feature! I'll disable it now and see.

Is there a way to set an alarm so the Apex emails if it has to reboot for any reason?

RussM
09/06/2012, 01:00 PM
The If Power Apex statement you already added will do that. The key is that the time value in the statement must be 001 or greater; it won't work with 000.

Test it by intentionally rebooting - after disabling Power Monitor.

RussM
09/06/2012, 01:50 PM
Oh BTW, thanks for the beer :D

kc350twin
09/21/2012, 10:35 AM
Just got it set up guys and all works well. Thanks

It did not email me when it came back on though. Is this the case now?

It could have been my testing procedure though, I did not have much time last night.

Thanks

Clubbinaz
09/21/2012, 01:07 PM
It's easier to just get notified when the power comes back on :) after the failure occured

I would personally need 3 seperate 110v battery backups,(the kind used on servers and such) just to attempt to keep my internet running if there were a power outage.

worm5406
09/21/2012, 02:03 PM
It's easier to just get notified when the power comes back on :) after the failure occured

I would personally need 3 seperate 110v battery backups,(the kind used on servers and such) just to attempt to keep my internet running if there were a power outage.

Unless you are at work an hour away and you loose power at your house for 3 hours before you find out.

Do you have that many hubs and modems?

Most houses have the one that comes into (DSL Modem) and maybe one or two wireless/wired hubs.

These are normally, not always, sitting near each other. then you would have a run to the apex it's self.

That is two.. (for a normal house...) hahaha

kurt_n
09/21/2012, 03:14 PM
Just got it set up guys and all works well. Thanks

It did not email me when it came back on though. Is this the case now?

It could have been my testing procedure though, I did not have much time last night.

Thanks

You won't get an email when the power comes back on. But if you know what your email interval is set for... say 10 minutes... and you don't get a power outage alert after 10 minutes has gone by, you can assume your power has been restored. Or, your battery backup ran out of juice!

Clubbinaz
09/21/2012, 06:08 PM
Unless you are at work an hour away and you loose power at your house for 3 hours before you find out.

Do you have that many hubs and modems?

Most houses have the one that comes into (DSL Modem) and maybe one or two wireless/wired hubs.

These are normally, not always, sitting near each other. then you would have a run to the apex it's self.

That is two.. (for a normal house...) hahaha

Normal houses probably don't have two Apex controllers but I do !!!
My house is to big for just the wireless router. I need to supplment with wireless bridges. I also don't normally lose power like that so I guess I didn't think it through :(

worm5406
09/22/2012, 01:17 AM
I have two wireless routers set with different DHCP ranges and on different channels. That way from upstairs to outside to downstairs it may switch to the better signal one. They are named the same and have the same passcode. It is seamless to switch between them. Different channels helps keep them for competing with each other too.