PDA

View Full Version : Which controller and why?

91mini
09/01/2012, 11:24 AM
Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite (Net) Controller vs. Neptune Systems AquaController Apex Base Unit w/ Standard Grade pH Probe.

Which one would you buy and why?

Currently I will want to run 2-3 Hydor powerheads on a wavemaker, fan, LED light & fuge light timer, Skimmer, PH probe, & heater. I think that's it.

bb
09/01/2012, 12:08 PM
I don't own either at the moment but I will be purchasing an Apex in the future. From the research I've done their Customer service is much better for one thing. For me it was the fact that you can monitor and control everything on-line and via iPhone.

cisowskia
09/01/2012, 03:17 PM
I will eventually get the apex unit because id like to control at least 10 different spectrums of LEDs... It's expensive but seems to be my only option for being crazy.

ccradr
09/01/2012, 07:50 PM
The Apex is a good controller once you get it setup. Customer service is good for some people and bad for others...luck of the draw. But once it is up and running...no issues for me.

James77
09/01/2012, 07:55 PM
Neptune Apex is arguably the best all around. I rarely see poor reviews of customer service so not sure of the "luck of the draw" claim above. Any and all of my emails have been answered within a day with thorough replies or help, usually within an hour or so.

Profilux is a great controller, a bit more pricey but good deals can be found when they do sales. Minimal if any bugs.

Reef Angel is another, geared more towards techy types to deal with open source programming. But has simple preset things as well.

Any of the above 3 you cannot go wrong on. My fav is Neptune.

Craig pc
09/01/2012, 08:43 PM
If you know gadgets profilux is an awesome controller it's a lil more technical to set up/ program but one of the best

Blayz77
09/01/2012, 09:26 PM
i own a reef keepr light that ive been using for a couple years now. its served me well and have had no issues with it. but when my new tank is up and running i will be getting an apex because of the iphone features and ecotech integration. last i checked which was quite a while ago digital aquatics said they had no plans to add ecotech stuff which for me was a turn off.

OffDaHook
09/02/2012, 06:32 AM
I have owned both. I must say that I prefer the Apex over the Reef Keeper by far. The web access out the box and iPhone app is great! I have found that the Reef Keeper software is very poorly written and unstable. I also run the Apex with the WXM expansion module for my wireless Ecotech MP40’s.

My Apex has been up for months with no reboot needed. Runs very stable and there are endless options for configuration.

ryeguyy84
09/02/2012, 06:46 AM
I've run both as well and the apex wins. The reefkeeper is okay but the software was very simple. It also seems like customer service what like 2 guys in a garage. In the end one of my reefkeeper power strips died so I went with the apex and never looked back.