PDA

View Full Version : what would be a good LPS for a clown host?

DarthNater
09/02/2012, 07:50 PM
i want to have some clowns in the tank i want to set up. i am new to the hobby as far as salt water. so i dont think an anemone would be good for me to try right off the get. any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Nate

betamed
09/02/2012, 08:03 PM
frogspawn, torch, hammer coral are all great.

Dapg8gt
09/02/2012, 08:08 PM
FWIW my clowns killed a few colonies of hammer and a big torch. At the moment they are destroying my last colony of hammers. They now have there eyes on my pearl bubble coral. Some clowns are brutal when they spawn some are not. Mine have been around for a long time so I just have to adapt and no have anything with swaying tentacles. I wanna try to get a bug fuzzy shroom and hope they take it as a host. All stated in previous post have the potential it's really up to the clowns in the end though those are all good options.

DarthNater
09/02/2012, 08:11 PM
i heard that maroons are the most aggressive so i will probly go with tank bred false perc's.

Fretfreak13
09/02/2012, 08:58 PM
Most aggressive to other fish, yes. Not necessarily to their hosts.

Keep in mind that clowns have a symbiotic relationship with anemones, which are not a coral. Some clowns get confused and host other things when an anemone is not available to them, but it may not be what you what them to host if they even host at all. My last pair of clownfish hosted my powerhead. The pair before that did host in a frogspawn but it constantly stung them and they had little black sting marks all over them all the time. What I'm getting at is that you may buy a coral that looks like an anemone to us, but to a clown it will look like what it is...a coral. They may not touch it.

DarthNater
09/02/2012, 10:23 PM
well if i was confident i could do a nem i would in a heart beat. i am going to be setting up this tank and i have heard that a nem needs a tank that is atleast a year old. i am kind of crazy when i am going to get into something out of my comfort zone but want to do it really bad. i do alot of research and make a plan. i appreciate all the info i can get from everyone. :)

Hazey
09/02/2012, 10:47 PM
I would not get a hammer for your clowns to host for fear of BJD (Brown Jelly Disease)
What about a nice Cataphyllia?

I personally would leave your tank at least 4 months to settle & mature then get a bubble tip nem.
How big is your tank though as a bta can get big quick especially if your clowns host it in turn keep feeding the nem.

Dave

sent from S3 using tapatalk2

DarthNater
09/02/2012, 11:05 PM
55 gal and a Cataphyllia could work too. i have not heard of BJD but i will learn all i can about it. i appreciate all the info from everyone. keep it coming!! :)
Nate

Dexters Reef
09/03/2012, 12:06 AM
My clown started hosting my large toadstool leathers polyps. Took about 6 months of being in the tank together and just a few days ago, he started hosting it out of nowhere! He's now in there most of the day and at night until it closes up.

Patrick Cox
09/03/2012, 01:57 PM
I have two perculas, a bubble tip anemone and a large frogspawn. The clowns showed no interested in either the BTA or the frogspawn for a long time. They mainly hosted in the bottom corner of the tank. Then one day I decided to rearrange the tank and pull out some rock and all of a sudden, the clowns discovered the BTA and started hosting it like crazy. Then for some reason, they started hosting the frogspawn as well and to be honest, I think they like the frogspawn better than the BTA. I suspect it is because the frogspawn is much larger than the BTA. But they do host in both. So, you never know if/when/what will happen! But if you are not getting the result you want, try moving some things around in the tank!

Good luck!
Pat

DarthNater
09/03/2012, 06:18 PM
a frogspawn would be cool but fretfreak13 said that they're frogspawn stung they're clowns all the time. so i dont know. maybe a hammer?

scsdukefan408
09/03/2012, 06:34 PM
My clowns have decided to make my torch coral their new home....they play in it ALL!!! day

tgo1322
09/03/2012, 07:19 PM
Mine host in one of two duncans colonies i have.

philosophile
09/03/2012, 09:18 PM
My clowns host in Duncans as well.

DarthNater
09/03/2012, 09:22 PM
how about a Bright Green Heliofungia Anemone Coral? anyone know anything about these?

Sheol
09/04/2012, 05:20 PM
My Maroon currently hosts in my corallimorpharians, as did my False perc pair in the old Reef. No LPS has ever been hosted, btw. But LPS were viciously attacked by my female ocellaris. She was brutal! Knocking entire Platygyra colonies of LR if they got anywhere near her Rhodactis "Anemone". By which I mean in the LR in general. Clowns can be an enormous pain in the posterior!

Sincerely,
Matthew

chrissreef
09/07/2012, 01:18 PM
Mine host GSP torches and love scoly's/brains but kill them

DarthNater
09/07/2012, 05:26 PM
hmm i didnt know they would kill stuff like that. never heard about them doing that before.

TheGodParticle
09/07/2012, 09:34 PM
Goniopora, if you can keep it, will readily host clowns. Or at least the clowns will force it to. I have 3 nems and my Clown won't go near em. Stays with the 2 types of Goni I have.

DarthNater
09/07/2012, 09:51 PM
Goniopora, if you can keep it, will readily host clowns. Or at least the clowns will force it to. I have 3 nems and my Clown won't go near em. Stays with the 2 types of Goni I have. That could be cool thanks for the info!

usmc121581
09/08/2012, 06:30 AM
In my 180 my yellow striped maroon host in a sabea anemone and my 3 percula clowns host in a hammer coral.

texasrainman
09/08/2012, 07:26 AM
Ive got a pair of false Percs in an srbta. Well all 3 of the srbta's. I've got a pair o black/white Percs that are in a huge Duncan I've got. I half expected the fp's to just keep one anemone to themselves when it split but no. They're greedy and are in all of them.

I've had other clowns host elegance corals, torches, frogspawn. That's it here.

DarthNater
09/08/2012, 05:45 PM
im thinking i might go with an umbrella leather coral. that would be a really good center piece.