PDA

View Full Version : apex has got to have better directions

ohiofishkeeping
09/03/2012, 11:15 AM
this is absouluteley horrible i buy a $500 apex and they dont even tell you how to set it up. instead a generous local reefer has too. Get your act together i am not the only one who thinks this.

RussM
09/03/2012, 11:39 AM
Doncha know that real men don't ask directions or read instructions? :D

Seriously - I agree that the Apex documents could undoubtedly be improved. But on the flip side - after years of helping others here, I am convinced that even if the manuals were phenomenally good, too many people wouldn't read them anyway.

Do you have the Apex New User Guide? (if not, you can find it at http://reeftech.webs.com/)

Is there anything in particular you want or need help with?

swearint
09/03/2012, 11:40 AM
There is the New Users Guide that is stickied at the top of this forum if you have not seen it yet.

Todd

Never mind, Russ beat me to it. :)

bobssecrtsn
09/03/2012, 08:04 PM
read the user guide! i myself was ****ed off at apex and when i read everything that was on the guide, it was pretty simple, i just have to get reassurance from reefers

kurt_n
09/03/2012, 11:28 PM
As others have mentioned, the "unofficial new user's guide" is about all you need. But did you check out the "official" user's guide found on Neptune's website? It's here...

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=48

Granted... this looks an awful lot like the "unofficial" guide, but it's been on Neptune's site for at least a year - if my memory serves me correct. I agree that the manual that came with my Apex when I first got it was junk, but Neptune has had an updated one on their site for quite a while.

HeneryH
09/04/2012, 10:41 AM
What is the point of this poll?

With selections for only 'excellent' and 'very poor' you are leaving out a lot of middle ground covering 'adequate'.

schatzi
09/04/2012, 04:23 PM
... that even if the manuals were phenomenally good, too many people wouldn't read them anyway.

So true

ryeguyy84
09/06/2012, 01:51 PM
the programming i get but the setup was rough. but to be fair I think it would be impossible to give really good directions as every router is different.

ohiofishkeeping
09/11/2012, 06:48 PM
guys you just bought a 500 dollar controller and the company gives you no directions instead a friendly hobbiest has to give them to you. just think about it

kurt_n
09/12/2012, 10:27 AM
Did you actually look at the Owner's Manual on Neptune's site? Can you honestly say this existing manual provides NO information?

HeneryH
09/12/2012, 11:10 AM
What information are you looking for that is not covered in the manual?

I agree that the manual is not as thorough as the unofficial users guide but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

I'm also wondering about your fetish with this topic.

60Cubed
09/15/2012, 08:26 AM
guys you just bought a 500 dollar controller and the company gives you no directions instead a friendly hobbiest has to give them to you. just think about it

WOW....sometimes it's just better to be thankful we have "friendly hobbiest" to help us rather than bash the company. Some people u just can't make happy no matter what u do!!!

And to further the crapiness of their manual we have to have help on this forum from even "more friendly hobbiest" that spend their time with no compensation from Neptune. Sometimes we get through things and get help from the people that have a better understanding of the product than we do ourselves. You should thank these people!!!

And once you understand the setup of the controller it will seem easy and be the best controller you've ever owned!!!!!!

Want2BS8ed
09/16/2012, 08:47 AM

"No directions" is a bit extreme. Let's not forget what you are dealing with here either... it's not a goldfish bowl. Let's assume if you have enough equipment to warrant spending $500 on a controller, you are well beyond using $10 light timers from Walmart. $500 is a drop in the bucket.

There is also an implied assumption that you are a more sophisticated aquarist, have the where with all to read instructions and most importantly, have patience.

Is it "easy"? Nope, but between Neptune's instructions, the Unofficial Guide, this forum and Neptune's customer support, I have never had a problem or question that could not be solved.

Ibuild2586
09/27/2012, 07:26 PM
Would it be that hard to provide plug in diagrams of the controller and for all of the modules instead of text? When I setup mine I read the user guide and was very frustrated that there wasn't clear text to cover all of this. If a computer monitor has the courtesy to do this I would think that Neptune could.

Crackem
09/28/2012, 01:46 AM
I would like to see some phone support in the future. It's frustrating at times waiting for a response from emails or even on the forums even tho the guys do a great job on here and from Neptune. It would also be nice to have them access your device online and help trouble shoot or with programming. I know they do it I would just like to have it as a regular service. Just my opinion from someone who is new to this product.

HeneryH
09/28/2012, 08:25 AM
The problem is that Neptune is a small company and providing the support that you are talking about would easily consume one full staff member. That person would be spending 98% of their time debugging people's home network architectures and tutoring on concepts such as port forwarding and routing. We're talking about a never-ending rat hole of support. (edit - rereading your note I see you didn't specifically talk about network connectivity support so maybe this comment is not applicable).

Support for programming questions is a more reasonable request as it is more aligned with the core product.

Landsailor
09/28/2012, 03:28 PM
How about a third option to the poll?

"My system is so complex that neither the official manual nor Unofficial New User's Guide covered it!...wait, I didn't bother to read the Guide!"

James77
09/28/2012, 04:05 PM

Think about what? They DO give directions, and they are more than adequate to get going on it. The unofficial guide which is much more comprehensive for a lot of people and is linked right off of their sight.

James77
09/28/2012, 04:07 PM
I would like to see some phone support in the future. It's frustrating at times waiting for a response from emails or even on the forums even tho the guys do a great job on here and from Neptune. It would also be nice to have them access your device online and help trouble shoot or with programming. I know they do it I would just like to have it as a regular service. Just my opinion from someone who is new to this product.

The email responses are usually very fast, and always within a days time. They WILL access your device online and diagnose or correct problems if your situation warrants it. They have done it once for me and offered 2 other times.

mtk
09/28/2012, 10:13 PM
Ok at first I thought that the instruction were not helpful. After stepping back and taking one step at a time it all came together. As for the 500 dollars I think that is cheep for what you get. I am not sure if you have ever looking into home controllers that work your heat lights and so on for your house but the are thousands and it is basically a apex unit. I would rather have a company that keeps the cost down by not having a room full of people to answer every question that is answered in the instructions that were given to us. The instructions may be over our heads some times but after you figure out what you were trying to do and look back at the instructions they seem to make sense then.

kurt_n
09/28/2012, 10:55 PM
...I would rather have a company that keeps the cost down by not having a room full of people to answer every question that is answered in the instructions that were given to us. The instructions may be over our heads some times but after you figure out what you were trying to do and look back at the instructions they seem to make sense then.

:thumbsup:

Very well said.

I think we all have to remind ourselves that many of these controller companies are not multi-national conglomerations. They're just hobbyists that saw a need and carved out a niche market. I'm sure they'd love to provide a higher level of service, but would we be willing to pay for it? That's a risky question.