PDA

View Full Version : Green mandarin dragonets - why are they difficult?

JenC2012
09/03/2012, 10:20 AM
So I would like to purchase a couple green mandarin dragonets, but I have read that they are difficult to keep. The RFS I frequent said that they required a well established population of copepods, but nothing else. In preperation for this I seeded my hang-on fuge with copepods and amphipods. I'm planning on seeding the fuge and the main display one more time. Is there anything else that these fish require other than this live food source? Has anyone had success with these, if so what did you do differently? Thank you.

snorvich
09/03/2012, 10:37 AM
So I would like to purchase a couple green mandarin dragonets, but I have read that they are difficult to keep. The RFS I frequent said that they required a well established population of copepods, but nothing else. In preperation for this I seeded my hang-on fuge with copepods and amphipods. I'm planning on seeding the fuge and the main display one more time. Is there anything else that these fish require other than this live food source? Has anyone had success with these, if so what did you do differently? Thank you.

In your sized tank, given about 9 months maturity and no significant copepod eating competitors, a healthy pair (must be male plus female, two males will fight to the death), it should be easy. While mine sustain themselves on copepods, they will also eat nutramar ova, mysis, etc. However depending on supplied food is not going to work as they eat constantly. If your lighting system simulates sun down, they will most likely mate.

Blacksscamaro
09/03/2012, 11:42 AM
Very hard getting them to eat frozen from my understanding, They are beautiful fish and once my tank becomes stable i plan on getting a pair but until I have plenty of pods for them to eat I'm not risking it

snorvich
09/03/2012, 11:53 AM
Very hard getting them to eat frozen from my understanding, They are beautiful fish and once my tank becomes stable i plan on getting a pair but until I have plenty of pods for them to eat I'm not risking it

Getting them to eat frozen nutramar ova or mysis is not difficult, the first problem is one cannot feed constantly and they eat constantly. The second problem is that they are noncompetitive so if other fish are in the tank, they will not get their share. Yet, with sufficient copepods and a healthy fish, they are easy. Feeding frozen exclusively, e.g. PE mysis, will eventually result in obesity and fatty liver disease.

SushiGirl
09/03/2012, 11:56 AM
Here's some good info (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20213061&postcount=2) by Sk8r.

JenC2012
09/05/2012, 05:15 PM
Thank you for your replies. Snorvich, I have a yellow tang in the tank and I'm wondering if he's going to eat the copepods before they can establish themselves within the tank, what do you think? Today I am aquiring a 55g hex tank that I am going to use as a quarantine tank until I have time and money to get it up and running. I plan to stock it with macro algae, seahorses, and pom pom crabs; do you think the mandarins would do better in this setup or in my big tank? Big tank is stocked with an Emperor angel, yellow tang, tomato clowns, and anemones.