PDA

View Full Version : Need help! 2 pest problems

wrimda
09/03/2012, 12:47 PM
I posted this in the coral / SPS forum and not getting much feedback, so I"m posting here as well.

OK we have a 150g and a newly set up 60g cube.
We have been running our 150 for just short of two years where we grew small frags into 8,10, and 12" colony's and have got AEFW where we have been loosing our nice colony's of acros. Before I realized it was AEFW I was fragging the colony's and moving into the new 60 cube, so now I have infected our 2nd tank. We bought a used frag tank and this week will be putting all the acros from the 60 into the frag tank for 4-6 weeks to dip weekly and get rid of the AEFW.

Now in the 60g I also see on the glass we have had hatches of eunicid worms, And this might be the best chance to deal with them.

I think we have a good treatment plan for the AEFW, but is the eunicid worm issue something that we need to deal with? Or our we OK with a couple of wrasses and a coral banded shrimp?

We have had reef tanks for about 4 years with great success, and actually thought to myself why everyone had so much trouble! Well this hobby has humbled me and have thoughts of getting out.

Thanks for any guidance
Mike

phonee1
09/03/2012, 07:43 PM
Use natural methods where you can. Besides it is more life in the tank. Double bonus. Euniced worms can get big if that's the type you have. So I'd lose them.

AEFW seems to be treated with dips. Melev talks about this somewhere.

philosophile
09/03/2012, 09:42 PM
Are you sure you have eunicid worms? If you do I would get rid of them ASAP. They eat corals for a living.