PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

mclevenger10
09/03/2012, 05:06 PM
Does everyone use acrylic sumps? My current acrylic sump needs to be replaced. It got a crack in it from a previous owner, and just doesn't quite work the best for my current setup with this tank. The skimmer he had on this tank was a bit small for it, so I recently bought a Reef octopus NWB 150 for it. Well the main area in the sump for the live rock and what not is the only space available for the skimmer. Without completely pulling everything out of the sump, I made a hole big enough for it to fit at the right water level in my sump. However, it does lean a little bit, not that much, but it is not perfectly straight up and down. My question is, could I make a glass tank work just as good as an acrylic one for my sump? How would I create the baffles? I guess I do not need the exact how to, just more that what i am suggesting can EASILY be done lol

disc1
09/03/2012, 05:09 PM
Not everyone. Mine is made from an old 30gallon aquarium with a few Plexiglas baffles siliconed in there.

I just cut the pieces to the right size and sort of glued them in place with silicone.

chrisfont23
09/03/2012, 07:15 PM
Nope. I made mine out of a 29 gallon tank and had Lowes cut glass to fit inside of it for baffles.

nbgen12
09/03/2012, 08:32 PM
Nope. I made mine out of a 29 gallon tank and had Lowes cut glass to fit inside of it for baffles.

I did exactly the same as chrisfont. Getting glass baffles cut at Lowe's does not cost much at all.

Croniss
09/03/2012, 09:15 PM
i used a 20g long and went with 1/4" glass cut down to 9x11&3/4 i originally used 11&7/8 and it was still too snug to comfortably fit. silicone binds glass to glass very well. I have not experienced it but heard glass tank to plastic baffled (acrylic as well as plexi) will adhere with silicone but its more of a wedge effect then a bonding effect.

cloak
09/03/2012, 09:47 PM
Check these out.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php

privitor
09/04/2012, 06:25 AM
me personally, if your old sump is cracking i would buy a glass tank and cut your old sump up and silicone it into the glass tank to save a bit of money. You can design it how you want and even make a spot for your skim. Try googling "custom sump" or "custom sump/fug" for some ideas.

And most importantly remember to measure twice and cut one when building your new glass sump.

Good luck

rogermccray
09/04/2012, 06:38 AM
me personally, if your old sump is cracking i would buy a glass tank and cut your old sump up and silicone it into the glass tank to save a bit of money. You can design it how you want and even make a spot for your skim. Try googling "custom sump" or "custom sump/fug" for some ideas.

And most importantly remember to measure twice and cut one when building your new glass sump.

Good luck

+1