PDA

View Full Version : Kessil a350 and a 150w review

brettinteriors
09/03/2012, 09:41 PM
This is Josh reviewing Kessil's a150w ocean blue, and a350, adjustable, tuna blue series led lights. Let me first say that I love, and now own, both of these units. As an avid reefaholic lighting is always on the surface of my mind Being one of the most important aspects of a reef both for health and appearance of livestock. There are a lot of lighting options out there and most, if not all, have had their positives and negatives. In the past I have stuck to t5 units based on proven results and large selection of bulb colors and combinations. Having been leary of led lights because of their newness, initial expense and limited color range I now see the future of reef lighting has arrived.

Let me start with the a150w. I have been using this as a stand alone unit for the better part of a year on a Cardif 28 gallon aquarium. I assume the w on the 150 stands for wide as it does on the 350 however, the 150 only comes as the w version. It has excelent coverage for an aquarium of the Cardiffs size and depth. The cardiff thmeasures 23x23x30. Initially I was wary of any coral other than lower light varieties but after everything I added had such excelent growth I have since added everything from softies up to some sps often with better growth than my 8bulb t5 at home. Heat gone, bulb changes-no more. Noise nope. I just love it. It has the shimmer of halide lighting without the hassle. The color output on this unit makes certain corals look insane. Greens, oranges, and floresant corals glow. Other colors like blue and purple are not as impressive. Overall I am extremely happy with it. The Kessil a150 with the Cardiff has been an incredibly easy and worry free setup.

At home I have a 140 gallon half round aquarium with an 8 bulb t5 unit. I am sure most of you are familiar with bulb changes, heat, and fans. The fact that it is like trying to fit a square in a half round hole left me with the sides of my reef not able to support most coral. The Kessils are a no brainer. I went with the 150 w on my medium light side and the 350 on my higher light side.
The a350 has blown me away. I'm sold and led's are my future. The a350 comes in two versions. The the a 350 and a350w wich has a wider spread and is recommended for tanks 24 inches or less in depth. I chose the a350, which kessil recommend for tanks more than 24inches or corals that need intense light. The a350 still has a spread that is comparable with the 150 but has a few major differences. It simply has two knobs to adjust the color and intensity. One for 10k and the other for actinic. Simple but amazingly effective. I spent some time playing with this and the vibrancy I have been able to get out of my coral is like nothing I have ever seen. The dullness I have experienced with other LEDs is gone. It has the intensity and look of a metal halide with the adjustability of,well, led! This thing is powerfull. At the bottom of my 30 inch deep tank the kessil is visually brighter than my 8 bulb t5. Not to mention I can get the exact color I like with the simple turn of a knob. I cannot stress enough how good this light is. It is a standalone with the power to grow anything.

Summary
A150w
Pros
Compact-think small can of soup size
No heat
No bulb changes
Long life without light output or color spectrum change
Shimmer like halides
Low energy costs-32 watts
Powerfull enough for most, if not all coral depending on depth

Cons
Light spectrum and brightness not adjustable
Not powerfull enough for deeper tanks.

A350/a350w
Pros
Compact-slightly larger than a can of soup.
Low/no heat
Incredible powerfull-much brighter at my 30 inch depth than my 8buld t5 unit.
Shimmer like halides
Color vibrancy and adjustability
No bulb changes
Long life without light output or color spectrum change
Flexibility- powerfull enough for anything yet dimable for use on smaller tanks or lower light corals.
Energy efficient
Cons......

See below picture of light spread with my t5 off. A350 left a150w right

Sent from my alien robot via triplanorum

NastyZ
09/03/2012, 10:14 PM
Nice review I like you was spectical about LEDs and I decided to go with the kessil I went with (2)150 ocean blue I got a hell of a deal on them and said wht the heck and I have to say I fell in love with them the shimmer is so amazing

I agree the down side to the 150 is it is not adjustable I was contiplating going with the 350 for my 72 bow but then I found another deal on another set of 150s but the deep blue so I jumped on them waitin for them to be shipped in but now I can have a dust and dawn effect (somewhat) and solves the controllability issue and the combo look great from all the pics and videos iv seen

jwolcott
09/03/2012, 10:23 PM
Have a kessil 150 on my 30 finnex assisted by a blue panorama. I love it, colors are super. My son has a 350 on his 60 gal red sea, it's fantastic. Good bye halides and t5s

jdraider75
09/04/2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks for taken time to review the lights. I was looking into doing 2 350w s on a 120 gal. Mixed reef . Do you think that would be enough or would I need 3.

brettinteriors
09/04/2012, 04:06 PM
How deep is the tank and what are you planning on putting in it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jerpa
09/04/2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for taken time to review the lights. I was looking into doing 2 350w s on a 120 gal. Mixed reef . Do you think that would be enough or would I need 3.

If you mount them close to the water, less than 6" or so, the wides will support SPS up to 24" deep. Two would be sufficient for a 4x2x2 120. There will be heavier shadowing with 2 than 3 but with a mixed reef you may be able to raise them higher and get a bit less.

brettinteriors
09/04/2012, 07:10 PM
2 would not have the coverage I would be happy with on my 140 half round. Keep in mind the closer you mount them to the water the less coverage you will have.

Sent from my alien robot via triplanorum

jdraider75
09/06/2012, 10:09 AM
If you mount them close to the water, less than 6" or so, the wides will support SPS up to 24" deep. Two would be sufficient for a 4x2x2 120. There will be heavier shadowing with 2 than 3 but with a mixed reef you may be able to raise them higher and get a bit less.

Yes my tank is 4x2x2 and bave some sps high in the tank so I suppose I would probably have to go with 3 but I have AZ center brace so probably a different fixture would be better.

Toadally
09/08/2012, 07:38 PM
Great review! I've only had mine on the tank for a little over a month. I was really skeptical at first, but reading reviews like yours gives me hope. My softies and LPS are looking great, but the SPS frags have lost color. I'm thinking it's because they haven't had the time to acclimate to the tank and lighting. There's so many variables in the mix, it's hard to blame just the lighting.

gb530
09/09/2012, 12:29 AM
Good review..... I have 2 A350W's on my 90 gallon and am very happy so far. Haven't had them on for long but I had the opposite experience as Toadally, got a small piece of SPS from my friend and it colored up more under the Kessils.

:thumbsup:

Imhotep75
07/06/2013, 09:11 PM
I have a 48x24x24 120gal would these be enough I keep zoo's shrooms candy cane watermelon chalice brain coral I use a mh now but am intreasted in changing but I don't want to get ripped off being my fish guy said 2 would run me about 500 bucks

WhiteTang
05/29/2014, 02:24 AM
Have a kessil 150 on my 30 finnex assisted by a blue panorama. I love it, colors are super. My son has a 350 on his 60 gal red sea, it's fantastic. Good bye halides and t5s

Hi! What about the noise the fan makes???
I bought an a150w and i am shipping it. back cause the noise is too much!!!
It's like a computer that is very hot and the fan is spinning to cool it down.
Is that what yours sound like too? Or did I get a faulty model?

moondoggy4
05/29/2014, 09:53 PM
There is a fan noise, some people are more annoyed with white noise I am not one of those type, ringing in the ear. I would not say it is loud or annoying but that is me.

AquaDiddy
05/29/2014, 09:59 PM
Man so I purchased a 360 last week and Im kinda disappointed. The light doesn’t seem that bright. Its the first LED I have any experience with. Is this normal?

Bent
05/29/2014, 10:14 PM
The only and only thing that has turned me off to the kessils is the lack of programmability and a stand alone controller.

If you could control one like a Radeon id be in love. Not smart phone control or anything like that, but something to control the ramp time and color other than a reef controller.

AquaDiddy
05/29/2014, 10:16 PM
The only and only thing that has turned me off to the kessils is the lack of programmability and a stand alone controller.

If you could control one like a Radeon id be in love. Not smart phone control or anything like that, but something to control the ramp time and color other than a reef controller.

Reef Angel...

Bent
05/29/2014, 10:23 PM
Reef Angel...

something to control the ramp time and color other than a reef controller.

I have no desire to pay as much as the light cost to control it.

Msoar16
05/30/2014, 01:40 PM
I have no desire to pay as much as the light cost to control it.

You do realize for $260 you get more than a light controller? Reef Angel is easily the best investment I've made for my reef and as a bonus it does everything you want it to do to control your Kessil.

Breadman03
05/30/2014, 02:31 PM
You do realize for $260 you get more than a light controller? Reef Angel is easily the best investment I've made for my reef and as a bonus it does everything you want it to do to control your Kessil.

While I'm Apex'd, I concur. I think that Apex and RA are very comparable. I only went Apex because I figured my wife would like the appearance a little better.

cintec
05/30/2014, 02:49 PM

they announced they are bringing out a controller

AquaDiddy
05/30/2014, 03:07 PM

This....

bvaughn7
11/10/2015, 01:22 PM
I have 3 Kessil A350W on my 125 tank. SPS/LPS are not growing. Softies grow fine. Also I have 2 A150 kessils. One just over a year old bought from someone. Kessil will not repair the 3 LEDs burned out because I am not the original owner. Also to repair is MORE expensive that to replace them. Think about this if you are going to purchase these LEDs. Yes great shimmer when they are working. I am selling my 350s asap.

bigkenny76
01/03/2017, 04:53 PM
I have 3 Kessil A350W on my 125 tank. SPS/LPS are not growing. Softies grow fine. Also I have 2 A150 kessils. One just over a year old bought from someone. Kessil will not repair the 3 LEDs burned out because I am not the original owner. Also to repair is MORE expensive that to replace them. Think about this if you are going to purchase these LEDs. Yes great shimmer when they are working. I am selling my 350s asap.
Do you still have the 350s

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk