PDA

View Full Version : durso stand pipe problem

moshi1ry
09/04/2012, 12:12 PM
I recently just fabricated a durso stand pipe and it has worked wonders for the sound of my tank! My only gripe or problem is that after a day or so the pipe starts to make gurgling sounds because the vent hole in the end cap (the part that is out of the water on the stand pipe) Seems to get water in it and the air cannot pass through. Anyone have problems like this maybe i should just make the pvc pipe longer that holds the end cap. Just dont like the look of pvc sticking out above my tank. Thanks in advance

uncleof6
09/04/2012, 03:24 PM
Lower the flow rate, and increase the pipe size of the durso standpipe. The problems (all of them) will go away. Durso drains only work well when the volume of water in the pipe is less than 1/4 the total volume, or when they are adjusted very close to siphon (but they cannot siphon) which is not safe unless you have an emergency backup (plug/flood risk.) and adjusted in this manner, are not the most stable. There are many "mods" floating about to deal with the durso issues, however, all of them still require a lower flow rate (or near siphon flow rate,) to eliminate the issues.

neurosis05
09/04/2012, 07:18 PM
Hey Uncleof6, what size pipe should your drain be? I don't have a Durso, just a standard overflow pipe (upside down U that drains straight down) sorry I don't know the name. I see you that you say that Durso drains only work well when the volume of water in the pipe is less than 1/4 the total volume. Is this also true with standard overflows? The overflow does have a tube in it (on the top of the curve) so I guess it does allow air into the drain so I'm guessing the same rule applies. I was going to use a 2" to drain down to my sump but then I was told 1.5" should be fine. Advise? Thanks

tj1627
09/04/2012, 07:28 PM
All depends on many factors. What size display? Sump? You should turnover 5-10x the size of your DT per hour (IIRC). So using that example, a 40 gallon tank would turnover 200-400 gallons per hour. Use the headloss calculator on the homepage to calculate your actual GPH - this will take into account all of your loss due to height, elbows, etc. You may need a 700 GPH pump to achieve 400 GPH in your DT. Or you may only need a 500 GPH pump. All depends on the plumbing.

uncleof6
09/04/2012, 10:57 PM
Hey Uncleof6, what size pipe should your drain be? I don't have a Durso, just a standard overflow pipe (upside down U that drains straight down) sorry I don't know the name. I see you that you say that Durso drains only work well when the volume of water in the pipe is less than 1/4 the total volume. Is this also true with standard overflows? The overflow does have a tube in it (on the top of the curve) so I guess it does allow air into the drain so I'm guessing the same rule applies. I was going to use a 2" to drain down to my sump but then I was told 1.5" should be fine. Advise? Thanks

Depends on how much you reliably want to flow..... any air assisted drain works within the same physics, so anything more than 1/4 full is going to create issues of some sort. To make a rough estimate, a 1.5" air assisted drain may flow 350 gph without issues, or if the zen is against you, it won't.

moshi1ry
09/05/2012, 08:58 AM
thanks for the replys guys looks like im going to have make the pipe bigger but im going to let it go for a little while.