PDA

View Full Version : Added sump to system

Donjr721
09/04/2012, 09:49 PM
Hi all. I just got back into this hobby few months ago. I had s reef tank setup from 1996-2000. My son when he was 5 put hamster food in tank. And I lost everything. Was a 29 gal. I set up my 55g a few months ago and recently built a sump and overflow box our of some scrap acrylic sheets I had. I fired up the sump tonight. I still have to pit some substrate and live rock invited sump. But right now I'm just sittin here watchin it to make sure my flows are good. So far so good. It added about 20 extra gallons to the system. I designed it so if siphon breaks and pump runs it will not overflow tank (unless baffles leak). In my tank I have 2 yellow tail damsels, a hippo, and a true percula. Also have about 50lbs live rock, BTA, acro, Anthelia, red mushrooms, zoanthids, gorgonian, and a small yellow sponge. Aster snails and blue legged hermits. Also coral banded shrimp. All doing well. Glad to be back in hobby
Lighting is 260 watt power compact half is actinic with LED moon. 170 powerhead hang on filter now sump.

parrthed
09/04/2012, 10:13 PM
Welcome back, Sounds like you are off to a good start. Im sure you will find alot has changed in this hobby in the short time since 2000. Enjoy the forums and all the great information on Reefcentral.