PDA

View Full Version : Ecoxotic panorama pro leds burning out very soon!!!

kmu
09/05/2012, 10:17 AM
Guys I bought this Ecoxotic panorama pro leds about 9 months ago, they have been on my tank for around 6 months now... I dont know if I got a bad batch of them but they should last more than 6 months!!!

They are 10" from the water surface and have never gotten water splashed.

I have 3 panorama pro modules

One of the modules has a single led gone, one is almost gone and the other one started loosing intensity

Another module has 3 leds that already started to fade out

And the third module has one led almost gone and another one that already started to fade out.

I bought this modules on a trip on a fish store out of town, still got the ticket but its gonna be more expensive to make the trip and ask for a warranty at the store than the price I paid for them!!!

Here are some pics

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120905_085430.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120905_085455.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120905_085649.jpg

mcgyvr
09/05/2012, 10:30 AM
Thats too bad.. Call Ecoxotic.. If there is a warranty, its them that honors it.. Not the fish store.

Looking at the pictures it looks like another crappy Chinese fixture with little to no "engineering" into it.

And this is right on their website..
"We have learned a lot from our first generation of Panorama LED lights..."

That tells me our first gens were total piles of crap because they had no idea what they were doing.

sirreal63
09/05/2012, 10:32 AM
Contact EcoXotic directly.
http://www.ecoxotic.com/

moondoggy4
09/05/2012, 11:18 PM
Murphy Law what ever you buy out of town is what will go bad, so now I just jinx'd myself with the new Eheim 2000 compact I just bought in Vegas.
Sorry to hear about your trouble I hope they will take care of it

taphil
09/05/2012, 11:34 PM
3 LEDs burned out on one of my strips. I used the online RMA process and the replacement came within less than a week.

Reverend Reefer
09/05/2012, 11:50 PM
yeah you know what, i blew money on the first generation of panorama leds that were supposedly reef capable. a year later, they were marketing my same led panorama modules as freshwater lights. i bought 4 of these modules and they were definitely crap, barely bright enough to light my tank. anyways, ever since then, i've been pretty skeptical of ecoxotic stuff. their marketing is awesome, their videos look awesome, and i am definitely a sucker.

reading that that quote by ecoxotic posted by mcgyvr ****es me off because their learning "a lot" was basically at my expense.

HaroldT
09/10/2012, 08:21 PM
+1

Mine were going out after 8 months.

rtparty
09/20/2012, 09:37 PM
Just thought I would share my story.

I've had my ecoxotic stuff for over a year and not a single problem so far. All of my units are open to fresh air.

For those complaining about the quote, are you serious? What would you rather have them say? We learned nothing and are not going to improve a thing. Do you guys complain because car companies improve things? Welcome to buying a first gen of anything!

kmu
09/21/2012, 11:12 AM
Here is an update!!!

By the rate the leds are burning out probably none of them will be working by the end of the year!!!

Just filed online with ecoxotic a support/warranty order, lets see what they have to say about it

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120921_100651_zpse7f763fa.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120921_100612_zpsef884079.jpg

rtparty
09/22/2012, 12:41 AM
Here is an update!!!

By the rate the leds are burning out probably none of them will be working by the end of the year!!!

Just filed online with ecoxotic a support/warranty order, lets see what they have to say about it

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120921_100651_zpse7f763fa.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120921_100612_zpsef884079.jpg

Maybe they are too close to the halide? Heat is the number one killer of LEDs and I wouldn't put them anywhere near a halide for that reason alone.

Almost every LED failure I see, comes from heat related issues.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

avilamillar
09/22/2012, 01:49 AM
I would contact ecoxotic directly. I had a problem with a stunner strip and they responded and fixed the problem really fast. I also have some panorama pro modules and one of them has some burn out LEDs. I just realized a couple days ago. No idea what the problem was.

kmu
09/22/2012, 10:25 AM
I would contact ecoxotic directly. I had a problem with a stunner strip and they responded and fixed the problem really fast. I also have some panorama pro modules and one of them has some burn out LEDs. I just realized a couple days ago. No idea what the problem was.

I already contacted them directly, haven't gotten an answer yet.

In 2 weeks I have 10 burned out leds and 9 leds that started dimming in just 3 modules!!!

they wont last for another month by the rate they are burning out

chadfarmer
09/22/2012, 10:41 AM
is that area vented at all?

avilamillar
09/22/2012, 10:53 AM
I already contacted them directly, haven't gotten an answer yet.

In 2 weeks I have 10 burned out leds and 9 leds that started dimming in just 3 modules!!!

they wont last for another month by the rate they are burning out

Wow that's fast. I've had mine for about a year and I just noticed some burned out LEDs a few days ago. Only from the blue/magenta module though, so that might have something to do.

Fish Junction
09/22/2012, 07:49 PM
I just read my manual for the Panorama Marine LED fixtures and also the manuals for the Panorama Modules and Panorama Pro Modules on Ecoxotic's site and all say under heading "Important Warnings" not to mount theses led's close to metal halide bulbs or other light sources that are extremely hot. From your pictures it would appear you did not heed this warning.

HaroldT
09/22/2012, 10:39 PM
Wrong.

IF he had mounted them INSIDE the fixture - then, yes, I could see that being an issue.

He didnt.

Those LEDs are well AWAY from the halides.

They should stand behind their product and replace those.

Anything else would be weak.

rtparty
09/23/2012, 01:18 AM
Wrong.

IF he had mounted them INSIDE the fixture - then, yes, I could see that being an issue.

He didnt.

They are maybe 6-8'' from that halide. I would put money on the heat from the halide is the culprit.

I'm not bashing the OP, just trying to help. Ecoxotic will stand behind their product.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fish Junction
09/23/2012, 08:50 AM
Wrong.

He didnt.

Yes 6 to 8 inches, if you don't think placing your hand or any thing heat sensitive 6 to 8 inches from a halide fixture, especially since the led's are hanging low enough that light is actually hitting them direct, I challenge you to set a thermometer under your halides in the light stream and see how hot it gets.

I also didn't mention that in the manuals, that you obviously did not read, Ecoxotic says not to operate your fixture in temperatures above 122 degrees F.
Led's are extremely sensitive to heat. So If we want to argue that Ecoxotic should have put failsafes into their fixtures that would automatically shut them down (like Aqua Illumination does) if they heat up over 122 degrees OK, but to tear down a company that gave specific instructions, titled "IMPORTANT WARNINGS" on the top of the first info page of their manual, that were not followed and resulted in failure of the product is not OK......................and the led's and the halide fixture are mounted together inside an enclosed space (look at the pictures).

WingoLED
09/23/2012, 09:32 AM
KMU, turn off the Ecoxotics and hang a thermometer at the close proximity of the bar to see what ambient temperature you are getting when the MH is on please.

Are all the bars using the same power supply/driver? Are these the so called dimmable ones but by voltages not PWM with constant current? I have seen those that are dimmed by voltage variation but not sure the model name. Those are poised to fail if you have a bad power/driver. From the pic, it seems that circuit is voltage base and not constant current.

In your case, it could be either your MH induced ambient temperature is too hot or a bad power supply/driver. I am leaning more towards the circuit design/power supply error.

kmu
09/25/2012, 02:37 PM
Good news, I send all the pictures an info to ecoxotic and they are replacing them along with new reflectors, "EXCELENT SERVICE" I also got some tips from them on how and where to mount them to get better coverage and avoid the same issues.

Just o clarify this, there isn't any heat being radiated from the halide fixture into the leads, I had my AI sols half the distance for a few months and they didn't even had the fans turn on.

I did test the temp (laser) of the panoramas with the halide on and off and there wasn't any difference. The temp of the panoramas is actually a lot warmer than the hamilton cozumel sun pendant when tested side by side. The cozumel pendant is only warm to the touch while the panorama pro is hot.

Here is another pic with a close up of how far away the panorama pro is from the halide.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/k-mus/IMG_20120925_132731.jpg

chgries
09/25/2012, 08:05 PM
I am having the same problem with my 1st gen. and pro's. I did go through the hassle of sending them in and the company did replace one of them, and now it is happening again. IMO they aren't build for the harsh saltwater enviroment that they promoted for.

jwolcott
09/25/2012, 10:33 PM
I bought 2 units (1 blue /white) (1 all blue) about a year ago. Blue / white unit has lost 3 LEDs. Blue unit has worked flawlessly. I contacted exotic but had lost receipt ( my bad) they would do nothing. So went with kessil. Love it

kmu
09/26/2012, 02:06 PM
Well I decided to leave the LEDs OFF for the day and test the led temps while they are off and the metal halide is on for a couple of hours... To my surprise the led heat sinks are cold to the touch (pretty much room temp).

Now Im completely sure the halide has nothing to do with the LEDs burning out

Broncos
11/16/2012, 07:18 PM
I had fifteen modules, all but two failed. They replaced them, but i'm afraid they'll fail again. They get too hot and I think the canopy and the reflectors keeps the heat in. Their customer service was good, but tearing these down, boxing, shipping etc. is a total PITA.

I'm gonna buy kessils next time.

SantaMonica
01/23/2013, 10:48 AM
Are the LED's easily replaceable by yourself if you want to?

rtparty
01/23/2013, 12:55 PM

Nope. I would bet it is almost impossible.

SantaMonica
01/23/2013, 10:21 PM
Well I ordered one 48" today...

sirreal63
01/23/2013, 10:48 PM
Well I ordered one 48" today...

If it helps, mine are almost a year old and have been hung right next to my halides and I have had no failures. I wouldn't worry about it.

rtparty
01/24/2013, 02:03 AM
I went 18 months on some of mine with zero failures.

nystang
01/24/2013, 06:25 AM

I've tried to open one of my modules that burned out almost completely (and was replaced by Ecoxotic). No way to open it without destroying the unit.

Broncos
02/17/2013, 10:02 AM
All 15 of my strips have now failed within 1 year. Their customer service replaced them, but thats not any condolence-I wont get my time or lost livestock back. Please pm me if you've had any failures, i'm interested in knowing how many others had a similar experience.

$1500, a bunch of corals and a dead fairy wrasse (jumped out while removing my fixture) to show for it.

SantaMonica
02/18/2013, 01:43 AM
Well I've got my 2nd one set up now... will see how it goes.

offtrackk
07/01/2013, 12:20 PM
any updates???

MellowReefer
09/14/2013, 03:14 PM
I've had to replace all of mine (they sent me new ones without much hassle). Now two of my power supplies went out and I will be calling them again, even though it's beyond the warranty period. If I have to buy new ones there's $70 wasted. Not sure if I should just give up on these and try a different brand if they won't keep replacing parts if the warranty is up. Wish I had gone with Kessil too.

Humu Humu
09/14/2013, 08:16 PM
I don't understand the bother. My 400w Radiums grow my corals better than anything I've ever tried before. No bull.

SantaMonica
10/01/2013, 07:50 PM
Not the same, but my two 48" Panorama Marines have been non stop for over six months.

MellowReefer
10/02/2013, 02:13 PM
I will say this, their customer service has been decent. After all my lights burning out (see my post entitled "LEDs need cooling fans?") they replaced them quickly and no more have burned out since. Then a few of my dimmer switches stopped working, but I don't really need them anymore, so I didn't even call them. Then two of my power supply cords went out at once and they sent me new ones right away. They said the ones they had originally weren't powerful enough and these new ones should be better.

SantaMonica
10/02/2013, 09:17 PM
Good point about the dimmers; I don't use them.

Herbie
10/04/2013, 05:54 AM
I had about 8+ of the Pro modules burned out about a year ago give or take (they were only about 4-6 months old). As soon as one of the LED's burn out, the whole strip is doomed. When one led dies, the increasing power is then routed to the other LED's .............and on and on, until none are left working. Its a domino effect.
Now I will say Ecoxotic was great to deal with, just gave them my serial numbers and they shipped out new modules asap didn't even ask for the old ones back. I even swapped out some different color modules and they were ok with that too.
The new modules are noticeably different than the old ones and are rated at 16 watts vs the older 19 watt designation. Maybe they are routing a little less power through them for less burn out % .

I am having NO problems with the new ones they sent so far ...........so they must have learned some thing and revamped the internals a bit. The new ones are a big step up in reliability vs the old ones from what I can see.

I am only using the Pro's for supplemental lighting for Kessils ( dusk daylight effect), and they are working great. I will say they are NO match for a Kessil 350 or 360 ! Not even in the same league.

Herbie

Gundo5000
10/16/2013, 01:11 PM
I have an extra brand new model ecoxotic power supply with cord for a panorama pro if anyone is out of warranty and needs to replace one of theirs just shoot me a pm. It's no longer of use to me since I no longer have the fixture.

MellowReefer
10/16/2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Gundo, that's nice of you, but they did replace mine even though they were out of warranty. They said the new ones which can handle much more power and should last longer.

Just two days ago I realized another of my original lights is burning out! Even though I have been using fans for a year now and it's made it this long after the others burnt out! Although my warranty is up they sent me another, otherwise I would be really mad. They are quick with shipping too (of course I'm in the same state, that helps).

So far the new lights they sent are good. Fingers crossed.

MellowReefer
01/22/2014, 05:28 PM
Any updates from anyone who has either ordered the panorama pro modules recently or had their older ones replaced? You can tell the newer ones because they are 16w, and the older ones were 19w. I ended up having to get all new ones (replaced under warranty) but they're okay so far.

The reason I'm reviving the thread is I'm thinking of adding more to brighten my tank and I can't seem to find another option without completely redoing my canopy and in the same price range. There's the Current brand strips but they are more expensive and seem to be the same thing.

rtparty
01/22/2014, 07:53 PM
Mine are running over my fresh water tank. They have over 20 months worth of usage on them now. Still not a single failure of any kind.