PDA

View Full Version : srgt major damselfish

Fphipps
09/05/2012, 02:00 PM
i was interested in some srgnt major damsels that i saw a local petstore. but after doing some research, i found that they are very aggressive like other damsels. my tank is 75 gallons with a few inverts, fuzzy dwarf lion and fox face. what do you guys think? should i avoid the 3 damsels? i need to get some movement in my tank!

MrTuskfish
09/05/2012, 02:24 PM
These are incredibly nasty little fish. I think they would harass your lion to death; unless they were big enough for him to eat.

Greg 45
09/05/2012, 02:38 PM
i have 10 small and one large in a 150 reef flat
there is always one bulley out of them and its not the big one
they are always active and cheep $

namxas
09/05/2012, 02:49 PM
I agree with Tusky...the descriptive word being DAMSEL. If you look up "ill-tempered" in the dictionary there's a pic of a damsel as the definition.

MrTuskfish
09/05/2012, 04:08 PM
I agree with Tusky...the descriptive word being DAMSEL. If you look up "ill-tempered" in the dictionary there's a pic of a damsel as the definition.

My Funk & Wagnells has a pic of my Ex-Mother-in-law

aldiver311
09/06/2012, 07:08 AM
If theses were sharks you would not be able to swim in the ocean. I get attacked by them on a regular basis when I'm collecting.

johno4
09/06/2012, 09:12 AM
I have one now, they grow fast as well as being pretty nasty. If I were you I would choose a different damsel species. Mine has gone from 1" to almost 4" in roughly 6 months. And unfortunately when they get older they lose the cool stipes and color and turn almost all dark. Mine isnt there yet but Im already thinking about rehoming.

namxas
09/06/2012, 09:18 AM
My Funk & Wagnells has a pic of my Ex-Mother-in-law

Dood...I just spit coffee all over my monitor!

MrTuskfish
09/06/2012, 12:47 PM
Dood...I just spit coffee all over my monitor!

Nearing age 65; I should have outgrown the M-I-L comments; she is the late Grandmother of my kids. But the combination of "Damselfish" and "Sergeant Major" is just irresistible.
Its too bad that (most) damsels are so nasty; beautiful & personable little fish, dirt cheap too. I'd bet 90% of us learned about them the hard way. I want to get mad at LFSs for pushing them on beginners. But everyone wants a first fish that lives and damsels sure do that. I have about 30 little (<1") blue damsels in my QT now that were bred by a friend's kid---no market for them. They will be treats for Lions, Triggers, Tusks and some other wrasse.

To the OP: Finding active fish for a 75 with a dwarf lion isn't easy. he'll eat most of them. Maybe one of these smaller tangs:http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+334&pcatid=334

savemyreef
09/06/2012, 01:50 PM
Even if you did 3 you would probably end up with one very aggressive one. Especially in that size tank.