PDA

View Full Version : Firefish in Shrimp Goby Tunnel

India
09/05/2012, 03:55 PM
I have a new Hi-Fin Shrimp Goby with Pistol shrimp and new Purple Firefish. The shrimp excavated a nice tunnel, but I haven't seen evidence of him in days. Both the Goby and the Firefish are living in the tunnel. The firefish is doing the housekeeping - not as much as the shrimp, but enough to maintain...the goby is deeper in the tunnel and has less access to food. He has eaten, but often the firefish keeps him in the hole, and he seems thin to me.

I wonder if I should replace the shrimp ASAP so he can work on another tunnel...I wasn't sure I had lost him - thought he might just be out of sight, but it's been at least 5 days since I've seen him, and no evidence of other digging...

I wonder if I should get another pistol ASAP, or take other measures to feed the goby. I am feeding often thru the day, aiming the food and doing my best to get it too him, but it is compromised with the firefish in the way...

iced98lx
09/06/2012, 09:26 AM
I have 2 purple firefish, and a ywg, with no shrimp. They share a hole in my rockwork, and all sleep together. The firefish tried its best to push the goby out for the first couple days, but eventually the goby won, and got to stay. the firefish seem to try to push the goby around, but the goby certainly appears to hold it's own. Remember the firefish feed out of the water column almost exclusively (I have seen mine pick a few things off the sand, but traditionally not) but the goby feeds nearly all out of sand sifting (again, i have seen my take after food in the water column, but not often).

Just my guess, but he's probably okay.

India
09/06/2012, 10:49 AM
Thank you for the response - that's reassuring!

Fish Biscuit
09/06/2012, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't add another pistol yet, he could still be there. Sometimes I don't see mine for a while but I hear the pop so I know he's in there.