PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose between a 60mm Macro and 100mm Macro

solitude127
09/06/2012, 02:53 PM
If you had to choose between a 60mm macro and 100mm macro, which would you choose. I'm using a Canon 60D and I believe I have a crop factor of 1.6. But my main goal is just to take pictures of corals from outside the glass and top down. For those of you that have both, which do you like better? Unfortunately, right now, I can only afford 1 lens

mwladdicted
09/06/2012, 03:37 PM
There was just a thread posted about this do a search, imo though it depends what you are trying to acomplish. The difference between the 2 is mearly the distance at which you will be sble to shoot. A 105mm u can shoot from further and get the same shot as a 60, however, more space between your subject in the camera means more room for error. I personslly use a 105. Sometimes i wish i had both...

Recty
09/06/2012, 04:51 PM
In almost all cases I'd want the 100mm.

If you want the same shot as the 60mm, you simply step back a little with your 100mm.

If you want more zoom and you've only got a 60, depending on where your subject is you cant simply move forward because you're already up against the glass.

Misled
09/06/2012, 06:04 PM
I have a 50 and a 105, (Nikon). For shooting tanks, unless something is against the glass, the 105 is better. For shooting other things, I'm beginning to love the 50.

Ghosty
09/07/2012, 12:19 AM
There was just a thread posted about this do a search, imo though it depends what you are trying to acomplish. The difference between the 2 is mearly the distance at which you will be sble to shoot. A 105mm u can shoot from further and get the same shot as a 60, however, more space between your subject in the camera means more room for error. I personslly use a 105. Sometimes i wish i had both...
+1, tons of Macro lens threads on the various reef forums. I have a nice Canon 100mm/f2.8 on my 2Ti. I opted to be able to shoot 'deeper' into the tank. With a Macro, your depth-of-field is so narrow, it takes a lot of practice, lot of light, steady hand or tripod, etc., to get a nice sharp and well-lit image.

Dino
09/07/2012, 05:20 AM
For taking pictures of corals and "tank stuff" I'd go for the 100mm for the increased working distance.

solitude127
09/07/2012, 11:48 AM
I borrowed a friends 100mm and I was having a difficult time capturing more than one branch of my acros when shooting top down. This is why I was thinking a 60mm would be great. My tank is only 20" tall and most of my acros are no more than 10" deep.

IslandCrow
09/08/2012, 03:35 PM
What f-stop were you using? Personally, I'd opt for the 100mm. I can almost guarantee there will be times you'll wish you had more reach if you go with the 50. Top down can be tough because unless you get creative, you have to hand hold, but you always have the option of off-camera flash if you need more light for a small aperture. When it comes down to it, the shorter focal length really doesn't buy you any more DOF if you compose the image the same. I.e., you have to get closer with the shorter lens, which decreases your DOF.

turtlespd
09/14/2012, 09:53 PM
I borrowed a friends 100mm and I was having a difficult time capturing more than one branch of my acros when shooting top down. This is why I was thinking a 60mm would be great. My tank is only 20" tall and most of my acros are no more than 10" deep.

Get a taller ladder and no I'm not joking.