PDA

View Full Version : First calcium reactor setup

plunderisley
09/06/2012, 04:08 PM
Just got a new Ca reactor setup on my 75gal and I think it is set up correctly.
I got a reef octopus CR-100 calcium reactor. To that I got a aqua medic peristaltic pump (Sp-3000). I got a CO2 tank with a solenoid hook up. And a pH probe in the Ca reactor. The media I'm using is a Ca+Mg mix or something, and from what I read it says it should be dissolved around 6.3.
I got a RKE with the following configuration:
Outlet 1: peristaltic pump - on
Outlet 2: CO2 solenoid - on when Ca reactor pH 6.3 or higher
Outlet 3: Ca reactor circulating pump - on
and I got a alarm set that if the tank pH drops below 7.7 the whole Ca reactor (outlets 1,2,3) shut off.

Few questions:
-Is the setup correct?

-I got the effluent flow on full. That is some 25ml/min with the SP-3000. My reactor pH is 6.25ish. As it being so low, there is no CO2 going into the reactor (as I got the program to turn on the CO2 when it gets 6.3 or higher)

-I tested the outflow and pH is 6.3, Ca is some 700ppm and the Alk is off the chart. I assume that isn't correct?

-My tank pH is 7.8, which is low.

-What's the best way to calibrate this reactor? Can I lower the outflow with a peristaltic pump? What can I do now to tweak the settings and keep my pH from dropping?

- When the CO2 solenoid clicks on, I get a burst of CO2 before it levels out the correct bubble count (1/2ish BPM). Is that normal?

-What about running the Ca reactor on a timer? Only during the daytime for instance?

*This has been up and running the last 6hrs, so I don't know if I should wait a day or so before I start to mess with it more...

JAustin
09/06/2012, 05:57 PM
You can higher ph in your reactor and sti dissolve media.

Mmiller40gt
09/06/2012, 07:25 PM
Your alk levels in the effluent should be very very high, so that's ok. You should not be getting a burst when the controller turns the co2 on. Mine resumes the normal bubble count, the only change is off and on, the bpm is always consistent.

James77
09/06/2012, 07:47 PM
I would not use an AquaMedic dosing pump as a continuous feed pump!

plunderisley
09/07/2012, 01:59 AM
I would not use an AquaMedic dosing pump as a continuous feed pump!

What peri pump would you recommend? From what I found here, there are quite a few people using peri/dosing pumps to their Ca reactor to get a constant, stable flow.

James77
09/07/2012, 07:18 AM
Yes, and I am one that uses one.....well will be using one. The AquaMedic and most hobby pumps like Drews Dosers or LiterMeters are not made for continuous duty. The motors cannot take constant 24/7 operation. You can find continuous duty pumps like masterflex on ebay for decent prices. I have a digital masterflex I bought from a member here, tkeracer619 a few months ago. I have complete control of the flow and it is a quiet and relaible pump. Not cheap, but if yuou are going to use a peristaltic pump you need to use one like that. Otherwise I would just go with a powerhead feeding it.

tkeracer sold the rest of the pumps he was selling that were like mine, but shoot him a PM he may be able to suggest to you what would work best with your budget. He was more than helpful with me :)

JAustin
09/07/2012, 11:14 AM
Every now and then you'll find a great deal on an adjustable peristaltic pump on ebay for about $100.

Look up Simon Veristaltic pump. That's what I have and it's fantastic. Does 20some ML/MIN all the way up to several hundred ML/MIN. You can really tune a reactor with a variable pump like the Simon. That piece of equipment new is about $1,000, so getting it used is key.

If your getting a burst of Co2 then your regulator pressure may be set to high. What PSI do you have your regulator set at?

I recommend you purchase an aquariumplants. com regulator in the future......one of the best regulators out there. I have not heard of one failing to date.

plunderisley
09/07/2012, 04:48 PM
I'll keep an eye out on that pump.
I don't think my reg adjusts the pressure. I can adjust the flow but not the pressure directly. Of course I can close the tank valve to lower the pressure a bit..

JAustin
09/07/2012, 11:01 PM
Your regulator should have two gauges. One is your tank pressure and the other is the pressure going into the reactor. If you don't have this adjusted to lower
Than 15 psi, you risk turning in your reactor into a pipe bomb.

Mmiller40gt
09/07/2012, 11:32 PM
I'll keep an eye out on that pump.
I don't think my reg adjusts the pressure. I can adjust the flow but not the pressure directly. Of course I can close the tank valve to lower the pressure a bit..

Mine is the same way. One allows the co2 to pass into the regulator and the other controls the bubble count. It's a pacific coast imports regulator.

plunderisley
09/08/2012, 07:49 AM
OK here are the last 36hr changes of the tank stats with the peri pump running (and the whole system up and running 24/7)

start
KH-11.2dKH
Ca- 460ppm
Mg-1350ppm

now
KH-12.2dKH
Ca-460ppm
Mg-1380ppm

change
KH-1.2 +
Ca-0
Mg-30 +

I'm looking at the varistaltic pumps but for the time being I'll have to use the peri pump I got.
So, I'm thinking for the time being I might have to run it on a timer to keep the KH and Mg in check. I was thinking to keep it off 2AM-8AM (6hrs) when the lights are off in the tank. Is that a good idea?

the pH gets as low as 7.8 at night and 8.0 at day. I was thinking about using kalk in the ATO. How much would I need/use? How do you use it?

JAustin
09/08/2012, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't put the reactor on a timer. I would just reduce ph inside the reactor.

Get kalk from brs and try 1-2 teaspoons per gallon of ato water. Mix it once and your done. I use 2tsp per gallon in my 5g ato container. Keeps my ph at 8.15 at night and 8.32 in the day.

dan-in-gr
09/08/2012, 08:50 AM
Hi, Many of us are running the cal reactor 24 hours a day. You do not need the solenoid valve. Adjust your bubble count for about 15 per minute and the output drip at about 60 per drip. Use this as a basis. Wait a several hours, I normally check the next day. Check pH and if high past 6.5 (or whatever your want, increase the bubble count, if two low, decrease the bubble count. You can also fine tune with the effluent output by number of drops.

The pH is solution on mine is about 6.3 or so and the Alk is like you say off the charts, the one method is to do part test and rest RO water (example: if you have a Hanna, it wants 5ml in test vial, do 1 ml the other 4ml is ro water, multiply by 5 for test result, mine shows about 56 dkh. It sounds like you are on right track. Two things I have done on my Korallin C-1502, is to take the solenoid valve out of circuit and i replaced the check valve, now I get much more consistent bubble count with out readjusting every few days. My tank is steady at 10dKh and 430 cal, I am using Reborn media.

I see above your dkh is in the 12 range, you should lower it a bit, try reducing your bubble count.

plunderisley
09/09/2012, 05:04 AM
I can't get the flow above 25ml/min as thats the max the peri pump can put out.
The Ca media is around 6.2pH and can't get it higher. It does call to 6.1.

My regulator is a 2 part one. The first part tells me the tank pressure then I got a adjustable flow (l/min) set at almost nothing. So I don't know what could be causing the issue with the bubble burst..

JAustin
09/09/2012, 06:08 AM
The Ca media is around 6.2pH and can't get it higher. It does call to 6.1.

Do you mean the water in the reactor is 6.2? What do you mean can't get higher? If you shut off the co2 it will get higher.

What does "it does call to 6.1"? Do you mean fall?

Program your controller for 6.4-6.7 and start there.

plunderisley
09/10/2012, 01:02 PM
Do you mean the water in the reactor is 6.2? What do you mean can't get higher? If you shut off the co2 it will get higher.

What does "it does call to 6.1"? Do you mean fall?

Program your controller for 6.4-6.7 and start there.

I turned off the co2 and it wouldn't rise the reactor pH.
I think I need to return and rebuild the system. Looks like the solenoid broke already 1 week in. I bought a veri pump on ebay used, so I can adjust the flow. Looks like I might as well return everything and start again. Get a proper co2 regulator. Can someone link me with a co2 reg that works for ca reactors correctly?

Mmiller40gt
09/10/2012, 02:23 PM
I turned off the co2 and it wouldn't rise the reactor pH.
I think I need to return and rebuild the system. Looks like the solenoid broke already 1 week in. I bought a veri pump on ebay used, so I can adjust the flow. Looks like I might as well return everything and start again. Get a proper co2 regulator. Can someone link me with a co2 reg that works for ca reactors correctly?

Sounds like your PH probe is broken.. If you got zero c02 and water flow through the unit the PH should be right at the same as your aquarium.

Anyway this is the BEST regulator you can buy.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_Electronic_Co2_Regulator_p/co2.htm

plunderisley
09/10/2012, 03:45 PM
pH probe is working. the co2 solenoid failed and was left open. When the ph dropped, the power to it went off, but it still had co2 flow.
Any regulator thats good but not that expensive? :)

James77
09/10/2012, 04:14 PM
Reef fanatic if I had to have a cheaper one, but I was not all that impressed with that one. Aquarium plants is pretty much My favorite. I'd like to try the ones from greenleafaquariums but they are even more pricey.

dan-in-gr
09/10/2012, 04:26 PM
pH probe is working. the co2 solenoid failed and was left open. When the ph dropped, the power to it went off, but it still had co2 flow.

Hi, see my post above, what you will find is that may of us do not use the solenoid valve as it will fail sometime. Run your reactor 24/7 and adjust the co2 and drip rate correctly. try 20 bubbles per min with co2 and about 50 drips per minute of effulent as a start, adjust slightly from there, recheck following day.

The best way is to unscrew the solenoid valve and screw the needle valve directly to the main co2 valve, do not forget to use the white plumbing tape or it will leak.

What would be helpful is if you list what components you are using the: reactor, main valve, ph probe setup, etc.

Mmiller40gt
09/10/2012, 06:22 PM

U said you turned off the co2 and ph still not did rise? Did you turn it off at the tank?

plunderisley
09/11/2012, 08:33 AM
I have a reef octopus CR-100
Aqua medic solenoid
aqua medic SP-3000
CO2/argon regulator with a flow meter. (http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/340932448/CO2_ARGON_GAS_REGULATOR_with_flow_meter.jpg)

Btw I'm located in Poland...

So, if I return everything I need a complete new setup.
What reactor should I get? I can keep the reef octopus CR-100 which has the pH probe slot and all or get something else. I can get Deltec, Korallen-Zucht, GroTech, or Skimz Monzter also. The reef octopus is a bit loud.

From what I am seeing is NO solenoid.

I got a used veri pump on ebay which has full flow control so I can set the exact mL count.

What about regulator? I can keep that one or get something else, but I don't see any out here that I can lower the output pressure (other than lowering the flow)

or I can just ditch it all and use kalk and dose Ca+ and Mg+... I got a 75gal tank

plunderisley
09/11/2012, 02:39 PM
They got the Deltec P500 on sale out here (I know it's older) but it seems good. It has a Ph probe slot and it is smaller. I don't know how quiet the Deltec systems are. Or I could get the PF501. If not, the Skimz Monzter CM122 seems good.
Any thoughts?

JAustin
09/11/2012, 09:36 PM
If your going to change out reactors I would get GEO. I have the 618 and it's whisper quiet. I would really recommend aquariumplants . Com digital regulator. They are built very well and seem to last.

You could alwayse go to ca alk and mag dosers, nothing wrong with that method...it just up to you.

plunderisley
09/12/2012, 03:43 AM
I used to dose Ca, Mg, and Alk but Alk dosing is a lot for my tank and cost wise it will add up fast.

The Geo won't work well. The 418 doesn't have a probe holder and I can't buy it out here.

Still looking at the Deltec P500. From what I read onlline they are great reactors but the pump isn't great. They use metric pipes (seems correct as it is a UK company) which I shouldn't have an issue getting the pump out here (if I need a replacement). the P500 has a probe holder and all. or I can go with the newer PF501.

plunderisley
09/29/2012, 12:03 PM
OK so I had the new Ca reactor up and running for a few days now. But it seems that the tubing I had hooked up to the varistaltic pump got stripped and cracked causing a small leak. Is there a certain way to install the tubing? it fits snug in the rollers.

plunderisley
09/30/2012, 12:43 PM
How do you properly install tubing in a peristaltic pump?

plunderisley
10/06/2012, 05:26 PM
OK this is really starting to tick me off.
First I put the new tubing in I got which cracked after a few day. OK I didn't grease it and it was a bit thick.
I got the new tubing in which is a silicone based tubing which I greased well. After about 4hrs it cracked again.
What is going on here?

macdaddynick1
10/06/2015, 10:39 AM
Are you using the proper tubing?