PDA

View Full Version : Need input on plumbing

lambchops
09/06/2012, 05:54 PM
I have a 60 gallon Marineland cube and I got the plumbing all done and filled it with water to check for leaks. But whenever I turned it on the section with the return pump would go down to quickly. So I dialed that back down.

Now I am wondering how high the water should be in the overflow.

Heres the plumbing setup.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/zachlambchops/DSCF0265.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/zachlambchops/DSCF0266.jpg

chrisfont23
09/06/2012, 06:25 PM
It should be above the water line of your overflow. The idea is to ensure the amount your overflow is using should be the amount your return is sending back north. Usually there is a rating that will tell you that in GPH.

lambchops
09/06/2012, 07:10 PM
Alright its above the elbow in the overflow. Is that alright?

RocketEngineer
09/06/2012, 07:26 PM
The problem is in the sump. There has to be enough water in the sump so that when the pump starts it can raise the level in the display enough to flow into the drain. With the pump off, my sump has only about 2" left to fill before it overflows. Add water to the sump and let us know if that fixes the problem.

RocketEngineer

OKDOHK
09/06/2012, 09:09 PM
I believe RocketEngineer is right. You would be surprised how much water is contained in the the piping and water needed to increase height in the tank for the return. Did you make your return area too small? I am much the same. When my return pump is turned off, the water will rise and i have about 2.5 inches before overflow in the sump.

lambchops
09/07/2012, 01:43 AM
I was wondering what the level should be in the overflow area in the display. The sump is a eshopps 100 r. Theres a water level line on the sump and its at that right now.

mtcoins123
09/07/2012, 04:38 AM
I was wondering what the level should be in the overflow area in the display. The sump is a eshopps 100 r. Theres a water level line on the sump and its at that right now.

Really it varies widely ime my current tank doesn't keep any water in the overflow but I have had tanks that would keep a couple inches in the overflow area. any more than a couple inches and I would want to increase the pipe size to accommodate more flow from the overflow into the sump too much water hanging out in the overflow makes me nervous. of course those with beananimal Herbie overflow have a higher water level in the overflow area due to the design. maybe reading the bean animal overflow threads will help you understand that part of the tank plumbing better.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344892&highlight=beananimal

better understanding through more reading :lol:

RocketEngineer
09/07/2012, 08:44 AM

If the sump is filled to that level when the pump is off, you don't have enough water in the system. It should be at that level when the pump is running.

Picture?

RocketEngineer

lambchops
09/07/2012, 08:12 PM
I'll take a picture later and upload it.