PDA

View Full Version : Glass cages stand quality

JMurphy97
09/07/2012, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking of ordering a stand canopy set from this retailer and before I pull the trigger I figure I'll post to see if anyone has experience with their furniture. I'm also exploring building my own, however I'm not too confident with that and really don't have too much time. Thanks for any comments.

foundnemo11
09/08/2012, 01:33 PM
I don't know but I would assume they sell many tanks and I'd hope they know what they are doing. If you don't like it you could just swap out the doors. They come unstained so just make it to your liking

AcroporAddict
09/08/2012, 01:41 PM
I have a stand and one of their 100 gallon 30" x 30 x 24" rimless tanks. Stand is very well made, better and sturdier by far than Marineland, or any of the mass producers. You will have to finish it yourself, as they do not come stained or sealed. The only downside to them that I see is the "doors" on them are not really doors, they are slip in panels. But if you are handy with wood, you may be able to convert them. Get the side opening done as well. Makes access easier for putting in sumps, servicing reactors, etc.

ReachTheSky
09/08/2012, 01:52 PM
Pros:
- It's cheap.
- It's solid oak. Very light weight but also very sturdy so no worries about it breaking under immense weight.

Cons:
- There are no holes inside the stand. You have to cut your own if you want room for wiring, plumbing aeration, etc.
- For some odd reason, the holes for the overflow and return did not line up with their own tank. I had to do further cutting to make them fit. *facepalm*
- The doors aren't that great. It's designed in a way that would make adding hinges for easy opening/closing a PITA that would require a lot of tight cutting.
- The top of the canopy has a hollow design with a few beams running through it and two pieces of plywood on the top and bottom. This can make it SO ANNOYING if you're trying to install DIY light fixtures that requires screws to go through the top (Fluorescent bulbs in particular).

I won't even get into their tank design. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. I would not buy anything from them again.

JMurphy97
09/09/2012, 09:13 AM
I'm using a glass holes overflow so I'll have to drill and hole in the back of the stand to allow the hoses and power cords to go through? Doors that come off is not so bad to me really. I would actually rather have them out of the way then in the way.

I'm a fan of solid wood. I'm a mover and while I don't like to move solid wood dressers and/or anything else, I see that the solid stuff is what lasts. I've moved hundred year old table and other pieces of furniture.

eskymick
09/09/2012, 10:39 AM
I had them make me one for my 36" "cube". I love it. Well made!

AcroporAddict
09/09/2012, 10:49 AM
Doors that come off is not so bad to me really. I would actually rather have them out of the way then in the way.

I leave them of most of the time. They become a PIA to take on/off after a while.

ReachTheSky
09/09/2012, 01:09 PM
I'm using a glass holes overflow so I'll have to drill and hole in the back of the stand to allow the hoses and power cords to go through?
Correct. Aside from the overflow/drain hole on top, there are no holes inside the stand.